Chapter 12 - How My Heart and Your House Burns

Y/N P.O.V.

I woke up smelling smoke.  I looked and saw Elijah still asleep on my left.  It was an odd smell, since no one was cooking last night and no alarms went off.  I stretched and carefully got out of bed, trying not to wake up Elijah though I failed.

 "What time is it?" He asked and I checked my phone.

 "4:17 being exact." I say and he cringed. 

" So then why are you up?  And... What's that smell? " I stare at him for a second and then shake my head.

 "That's why I woke up." I walked to the door and slowly opened it, gasping at what I saw.                                                  " Elijah, call 911, NOW! " I yelled to him and he obeyed, startled.  The whole front of the hallway, was on fire.  I opened the door directly across from Elijah's door to Ethan's.  He was laying in bed with the covers all mangled around him, asleep.  I shook his shoulder.

 "Ethan!  Ethan wake up!" I said rather loud because with the door now open the sound of crackling fire was louder.  I sat next to him on his bed.

 " Dang it dude, wake up! ". I said again even louder, shaking him harder.  He opened his eyes and stared confused at me.

" Why are you in my room?  What's wrong? ". He said half asleep.  Elijah was at the door now.

" Ethan!  Wake up, now!  The house is on fire! " Ethan shot up and we all left the room.  Corl and Kate opened their room's door as we were about to come in.

 "What's all the noise about?". Corl asked and then turned his head towards the fire.                                                  " Crap! " He said then turned to a frightened Kate.  He took her hand and I felt Elijah do the same to me.

 "The stairs are our only way out, the others are probably outside already." Ethan said and we nodded at him.  I saw a year roll down both Elijah and Ethan's cheeks almost simultaneously .  I wiped both of their cheeks and felt one roll down mine.

 "Enough of this, guys!  We gotta get out of here, who knows how stable the house is right now!" I said and got into my knees bringing Elijah with me.  We all started crawling down the stairs to the front door, getting lost from each Other on the way down.

 " Y/N?  Is that you? " A voice asked from the kitchen.  I crawled in forgetting the door and saw Alex laying there covered in smoke with a large cut on his arm.

 "Alex!  What happenes?" I saw smashed glass from a window around him.  I held his hand and helped him bend up.

 " That is not important right now, can you just help me out? ". He asked with a cough.  He was badly injured.  I wouldn't be able to drag him out on my own.  I heard the sound of the roof collapsing upstairs.  I was still holding Alex's hand and said,

" Can you crawl? " He shrugged and I nodded.  We had to get out of there so I started to crawl away, hoping he'd follow.  He did, weakly and without using his left arm.  Thank God he could crawl after all.  As we !are out way to the door (or what was left of it) I took a look around the room, filled with smoke and ashes.  It would never be the same.  

Alex and I got outside and collapsed into the grass.

"Y/N!  Alex!  You're okay!  Thank God!" Ethan said running and hugging both of us.  I could hear sirens coming and looked at Alex.  His breathing was heavy and slow.  We walked over with Alex in between us for support , to the others.  All I wanted to do was hold the one person who wasn't there.

"Where's Elijah?" I asked panicking.

Ethan's P.O.V.

I stared out my childhood home being burned to the ground.  The firemen were too late to save the house, what were the chances they would save Elijah?  Alex passed out from blood loss and lack of oxygen and was on his way to the hospital with Denis and Sub.  Kate was crying with Corl and I was sitting with my back up against a tree.  Y/N came and sat down by me.  She took my hand.

"Everything will be okay.  Elijah is okay, he has to be!" She said to me trying to smile.  Smile, that seemed inhumane at this point.  I nodded and said,

" You know that the fire wasn't an accident, right?  Alex's arm is just proof of that. ". She nodded and tears flooded down her cheek.  I noticed I was crying too and felt kind of embarrassed, though I shouldn't have been.  "When you and Kate moved in, our lives changed for the better but sometimes people can't let go.  That's obviously part of the reason my home is being destroyed.  I just... Thank you for always being so happy and posotive, it really helps." I smiled at her.

"Thanks Ethan.  You're like a brother I never had, and Kate is like a sister I never had.  I am so sorry that your house, well...."  She burst out into more tears and I hugged her.  A week ago she would have thought I did this because I liked her but really, she was  the sister I never had.  So when the firefighters came out from what was left of my house carrying a l imp body, we both cried together.

A/N

Hey guyz.  I just realized I've been spelling Elijah's nickname Lijh not Lije which is how he spells it but that's okay.  😅  So did chapter is kinda bad but it brings us to the point of, how did the fire start and is Skootch dead???  K welp, we love cliffhangers here don't we?  Thanks if you read this and byee!