sixteen | i am sorry

my heart ached like it never had before. all my thoughts running around and flooding my head. his dad, he cared, I couldn't take it all in. gilbert cared, he really cared. before I could realize he had turned and started walking back. "please gil-" 

he turned to face me, I now realized how much he had been crying, his eyes were red and puffy, his eyes full of sorrow and pain. "Anne forget it, let's go back" 

"Gilbert, I want to say thank you" 

"it's fine-" 

"no its not, you've been so open to me since the start and I never gave you the chance, I am truly grateful for you and I haven't appreciated your efforts enough, so thank you" I took a step forward and looked into his hazel eyes, mine now matching his, red and puffy, full of sorrow "I've never really had friends before, no screw that I've never had a friend before at all, from the first day you wanted to talk to me and I didn't let you in." I took his hands into mine, the rain pouring down on us, the only light being the moon and the streetlights. "Gilbert Blythe I am sorry" 

"Anne Shirley Cuthbert, can we start over again, can we be friends?"

"Gilbert I don't think we can be friends," Anne looked down at her feet, her shoes soaking up the rain flooding down the pavements. 

gilberts face took a turn of pain as he blinked trying to hide the tears and torment. his efforts had been lost and he would never be friends with the one person he had always wanted to meet.

"I have a feeling that we're going to be kindred spirits" Anne's head lifted again and she searched for hope in the boy's eyes, "of course only if you would like that"

"Oh, cherry blossom I've never wanted something so much," 

and at that moment Gilbert smiled, a trace of happiness bound into his smile as he and his kindred spirit stood under the light of the moon neither of them wanting to break the moment. 

~~~

the walk home was silent but the silence was not quiet it was comforting, the two had never gone a minute in each others presence without arguing about something or other. Gilberts couldn't stop smiling to himself and couldn't wait to tell Charlie all about his very eventful evening. Anne, however, was taking in the sights, she had completely forgotten about the events before gilberts arrival earlier that evening so had no worries. Apart from Diana and Cole's reactions when they find out that Anne and Gilbert had got along. 

They made it to the hotel door and Gilbert being a gentleman held it open signaling for Anne to enter first, "ladies first," he smirked holding his arm across 

"well yes but men just before Blythe,"

"back to surname basis am i?" 

"well yes i think it suits you, now i will take up that offer of you letting me enter first, I'm freezing!" Gilbert chuckled at Anne's remark and allowed her to enter first, he was always going to anyway

_______________________________________

a/n sorry this is short but i didnt have as much time as i hoped, hope you enjoyed it! 

gil and anne finally made up and gils pretty damn happy about it ;)

comment if you liked this and thank you for all the support and 1.65k reads <3

- han xo