seventeen | sleepless nights

I allowed Gilbert to go in-front of me as he had the keycard to unlock the door,  "Well then wasn't that an adventure,"
"Yes it certainly was Blythe"
"Will things go back to how they were or will it truly change?"
"Do we really have to talk about th-"
"Yes we do have to talk about this, now answer my question"
"I don't know whether we will change Blythe,"
"Oh," Gilbert strayed his eyes to the floor
"But I want us to," the boys eyes then met my eyes as we both chuckled at the stupidity of it all

"Let's get some sleep I mean it's almost midnight and tomorrow we're going to be out all day," I began to take my shoes off and get my pyjamas out my bag ready for the night

"Er yes good idea, would you like me to use the bathroom to change?" Gilbert inquired
"I mean if you want to, I don't mind," I didn't think it would make much difference really, we're all human after all

"Oh erm okay I'll just get changed in this corner then and you over there I guess," I saw he furrowed his eyebrows then grinned, I chuckled and rolled my eyes at him.

We finished getting changed and went to brush our teeth, we both stood shoulders touching, in front of the mirror.  Gilbert had finished brushing his teeth and put his brush down "First to bed wins,"
"Wha- but" I stuttered looking for an excuse for me loosing.
"Everything alright cherry blossom?" I turned out of the bathroom to knock into a solid wall. A wall of Blythe that is. "Yes I just hate loosing,"
"Huh really?" our faces now inches apart, his eyes diverting to my lips, then my eyes. I couldn't keep my eyes away from him. "Well don't worry anne, you've won something," he smiled loosely I didn't quite understand what he said but I didn't tell him, I just froze, if I'm honest I enjoyed his company. It felt right.

"We er, we better get to bed"
"Yeah er, need sleep"

ring ring

"Wanna pick that up Blythe," I was too far from the room phone and honestly I was now scared of talking to anyone
"Yeah yeah I'll get it,"
I turned to face him to see if everything is alright, he didn't talk for long and sounded disappointed at the outcome, clearly the phone call wasn't a "here's a free meal" one

"That was the reception, they called to say the heating on the fourth floor as broken due to leaks from the rain and they're really sorry,"

"Oh my that's really not good," I pulled the covers over me even more and hoped it wouldn't get too cold in here.

"They said it couldn't get too cold though so once we're asleep it shouldn't really effect us, and that also it's only for tonight because if they don't get it fixed during the day tomorrow we can just move to another floor with working heating so we should be fine," he turned to gave me as he tucked in and laid down.

"Oh well we'll be fine then,"

"Yeah we'll be fine."

~~~

"You going anywhere tonight lovely?"
"Maybe on a girls night out?"
"Oooo that would be nice,"
"We can give you a lift if you'd like, it would be quicker than walking."
"And we don't want a pretty young girl like you walking around at night on your own,"
"Where's your strong knight in armour huh?"

I rolled in my bed, sweat dripping down my forehead, all the memories from earlier flashing back

— Gilbert's pov —

I awoke suddenly to hear shrieking and panting, I turned to see anne rolling around in her bed, looking as if she was in pain.

I quickly jumped out of bed at the sight of her in pain, I hated her being in pain. I walked over to her bed leaving a meter between us, not wanting to intrude her personal space. Yet I thought in this situation that didn't really matter and I stepped to beside her bed. "Hey anne, it's Gilbert," I stroked the hair away from her eyes, her skin soft and cold, her hair smooth and fiery.

She wasn't moving anymore so I hoped the worst was over, I assumed they were bad dreams, I didn't know much at all about Anne's past but I can only guess that it wasn't the nicest.

I made my way back to my bed and tucked in, the moon shining through the gap in the curtains, I shivered as a breeze of cold air blew in.

"Marilla I'm cold," I turned to see anne rolling in her bed, she's cold, er okay er

I rummaged around and found a jumper of mine, I slowly approached her bed again and placed the jumper across her chest hoping for it to add a layer of warmth.

I stood above her admiring her, when awake, she's full of energy, loud and you certainly know she's there. When she's asleep, she's quiet and beautiful but of course that's the same as when she's awake, but I can also tell she's here when she's asleep, it's like she has some kind of presence in the room. it's comforting really, I like it.

After a few minutes she went quiet so I figured she had gone to sleep, she rolled away so her back was facing me and then I decided to go back to bed for a final time.

I sat up in bed my head on the back board, I couldn't sleep, not knowing anne had gone through pain and hurt. Someone like her didn't deserve such things, she only deserved to be loved, and to receive kindness

"Course not everyone's nice to you, huh anne, billy was an idiot to call you those things on your first day. You have no idea how much I just wanted to punch him, god it pissed me off." I chuckled to myself "I didn't even know your name but I still wanted to meet you, I only knew your face but that was enough" I felt stupid talking to her like this, I missed her talking back and her remarks on whatever I said.

"You know I was truly sorry for knocking that flask over your lap, those jeans really suited you and I ruined them, if only you knew that I was only getting that stupid sticky note off your back,"

"Huh, maybe then you wouldn't of hated me so much, maybe we could of been friends,"

— Anne's pov —

wait what?!?!

__________________________________
a/n ;)))

comment if you got the whole winning thing ;)

This part is actually quite long, woah, thank you so much for 1.81k reads !!!! I LOVE YOU ALL

- han xo