twenty-one | special

"What are you doing Blythe?" I let out a chuckle as the boy grasped onto my wrist sending chivers down my spine. He pulled me along and into a shop door, "Blythe?" I asked again, I stopped and expected him to turn around but he kept walking, he only stopped when he reached what he'd been looking for.

"Good afternoon sir, is this what you're after?" A young girl dressed in uniform I assume appeared behind Gilbert. "Yes it is, 8 I believe," he began rummaging around in his pockets only to pull out his wallet and hand a few bills to the lady. "Alright I'll go get one from outback and we'll double check sizing" she smiled and got a key from her pocket, turned and began walking.

Gilbert turned to me and gave a small smile, i was still confused, I knew what he was doing but I didn't know why he was. "If I may ask sir, is this for someone special?" He was still looking at me whilst she was talking to him. "Yes it is miss, someone rather special to me," and at that point my heart flickered and my stomach churned. special.

———

"You look pretty" I looked back into the mirror and my eyes disagreed with the lady. I didn't think I looked beautiful, I looked like a disaster that's for sure. "You look-" I span round from the mirror to meet eyes with a certain boy. "You look beautiful anne" he stepped forward to meet me, "although there was no doubt you were going to" he chuckled to himself and I could see his eyes diving up and down.

"Why?" I asked
"Because anne-"
"No gilbert, you just bought me this dress, the exact one I wanted, it wasn't even for an event or a gift. You just got it." I gazed up at him, I was so confused why on Earth he did it.
"I got you it because it made you happy and I thought you deserved it," his eyes met mine and for a second we stopped, everyone else was moving but we had stopped.
"I don't deserve this gilbert"
"Cherry blossom you deserve anything and everything"
"Gil-"
"If you don't accept it then I'll buy it anyway and give it to you for your birthday anyway" i chuckled, he really wanted me to have this, he wanted me to be happy.
"Alright I'll accept it I guess," I turned and looked back into the mirror, two honey eyes meeting mine and I felt two cold finger tips on my back.

"You really do look beautiful,"
"i-er thanks"

————

"No you have to!"
"Anne Shirley Cuthbert you are not spending a penny on me!"
"So you can spend a stupid amount on me but I'm not allowed to treat you back!"
"Nope it was a gift from me and I'm not accepting that!"
"Gilbert John Blythe I don't care if you won't accept it I'm buying it now come on!"
"Alright, alright I'm coming,"

We both began chuckling at the stupidly of the both of us, stood at the back of a book shop, I had spotted a selection of books on the human anatomy and since I knew gilbert wanted to be a doctor I thought they'd be very fitting.
"Just these please sir," I placed them on the counter and begged I had enough money.
"Alright that will be $65 miss," I nearly chocked at the price but I knew that gilbert deserved it and I could always text Marilla asking to put more on my card.
"Here's $70, and keep the change" I smiled as the boy gratefully accepted the extra money and packed the books for me. "Have a good afternoon"
"You too"

"You didn't have to do that anne"
"Yes I did Gil and don't been mention it, you deserve it" we began walking down the sidewalk as we'd agreed to meet with the rest of the class as our first assignment was to go on a skyline tour.

"Where are we meeting again?"
"35th"
"Alright, and remember don't mention the books alright Blythe"
"Alright Shirley,"

______

So the two met with the other teenagers and never used the other's nicknames or mentioned the gifts they'd just bought each other. Gilbert so wanted to tell everyone but anne on the other hand didn't want to. She didn't want to show she cared.

_________________________________

a/n ew I don't like this chapter sorry or the photo at the start

OMG WE NEARLY HAVE 3000 READS THATS MADNESS THANK THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!

Anne can't just show her bloody feelings around anyone else, shame

- han xo