29. REAL LIFE

MADISON NEVER EXPECTED CHRIS to leave shooting early just so he would be there for her during her darkest hours

MADISON NEVER EXPECTED CHRIS to leave shooting early just so he would be there for her during her darkest hours. Showing up and surprising her at Robert's house with Dodger made her feel better.

It was something she never wanted to admit. The past three months, she was on a downward spiral. There wasn't a day that went past when she thought; Nate's death was my fault.

If she didn't solve things with him or maybe even stop talking to him, it wouldn't of happened. That was always in her mind. But not Jack's. Not Andrew's and certainly not Chris's.

The two sat together in bed will grasshoppers chirped outside. She was tangled in Chris's arms, staring blankly at the ceiling. His face was buried in her hair and their bodies were touching.

"Hey Chris?" She whispered softly. His eyes fluttered open, as he moved his head to face her.

"What's up?" He asked in a raspy voice.

"Do you think... all of this is my fault?"

He sighed softly, moving some hair from her eyes. "Madison, I know." He told her. Her eyes widened, looking at him with a shocked expression.

"I know what happened between you and Nate. The real truth. I know why you've been hurting. It's okay," He whispered. "I feel bad."

She faced the direction he was in, cupping his cheeks. "Don't feel bad, you didn't do anything."

"And neither did you."

Silence rose in the room. "I just wish he was here."

"I wish he was here too," Chris spoke softly. His fingertips trailed down her cheek. "Even though he hated me. I always thought of him like a brother. None of this is your fault. It was an accident."

She sighed as she faced the ceiling again. It felt like she had no more tears to cry. Everything was hollow. "It's just hard to accept that."

"Hey, want to know something crazy?" Chris blurted.

Her attention was on him again as she looked at him. "How about, we go for a month getaway. I don't know, to clear your head. To clear mine? To spend time together. Hell, we'll bring Dodger. We can go to Canada or like... Montana."

A little smile rose to her cheek. "How about Maine?"

"Odd choice but I don't care." He laughed softly. He cupped her cheeks. "But your happiness is important to me. I don't want you to be disconnected from the world because of Nate. Nate wouldn't want that for you either."

"So basically. You want to bring Dodger and I to Maine so I can clear my mind?"

"Basically, yeah." He chuckled quietly. "Just let me be there for you. Just like I was with Zak. I'm here for you. We'll go tomorrow morning!"

There was a brief pause before she nodded, "Alright. A month. So I can clear my head."

Chris pecked her lips multiple times which made her actually smile for the first time since before Nate's death. "For my best girl, always."

this was the worst chapter ever LOL. sorry i was half asleep and got a burst of energy to write after reading a fanfic... K GOODNIGHT