REIKA-SAMA - 055

I thought the situation with Mochida-san would return to normal after a while, but it dragged out unexpectedly.
Sometimes she would be called out and have complaints said to her face, and other times she would have her things hidden. Not full-blown bullying, but things like whispering “You’re so damned gloomy.” or “You’re ruining the mood.” and then snickering to each other.
They sure seem to be having fun, I thought.
As for Mochida-san, it would have been fine if she just ignored them and lived normally, but she became more and more timid, and more and more gloomy, and just made herself needlessly vulnerable.
Once humans start feeling negative, there’s almost no end to how bad it gets, huh.
I only have whatever impression I formed of her during the remedials, but she already seemed like quite a plain girl at the time. I guess she was the easily bullied type to begin with.
Even Aoi-chan is good at studying despite her quietness, and apparently she’s actually good at sports too, and since she’s an energetic girl that likes the outdoors, girls like her don’t get targeted for bullying so much.
Mochida-san, on the other hand, is bad enough at academics to have to go to remedials, and from her results at the athletics carnival, I assume she’s bad at sports too, and on top of that she looks plain. Just full of openings.
I heard she has friends, so she probably isn’t completely isolated, but I wonder when this will cool down.

But well, even if I’m thinking about that, she’s a total stranger from another class. Not only that, it isn’t even full-blown bullying, so I had decided to just watch from the side, when one day, I went to the infirmary and met her by chance.

I hurt my finger with a papercut, so I went to get a bandaid, and met Mochida-san, since she was there to get medicine for stress-related gastritis. Uwahh…
I startled her when I entered the room, and she began trembling all over with a frightened expression.
Sorry for looking so scary.
Mochida-san looked worse for wear than when I saw her during the remedials, and she was skinnier too.
Apparently she’s even more sensitive than I expected.

“Gokigen’yoh, Mochida-san. Is the nurse in? I am here for a bandaid, but…”

“…Ah, she had something to attend to, so she left just now…”

“My, is that so. Then would it be fine if I simply enter?”

It’s just a cut on my fingertips, so it isn’t a big deal, but it hurts so I wanted a bandaid.
My friends all told me “Reika-sama, please quickly treat your hand!” too. They actually wanted to come with me to the infirmary, but I thought it was a bit much for such a small injury, so I turned them down and went by myself.
I’m glad I did. Imagine how much worse it would be if they were here.

I grabbed one of the cotton balls soaked in disinfectant with some tweezers, and then sterilised my fingertip.
I wasn’t using my good hand though, so it was quite hard and clumsy.

“Mochida-san, could I trouble you to help me with the bandaid? I do not think it would go well using my left hand.”

“Eh-”

Mochida-san had been sitting there with her head hung, and her hands over her stomach. When I called out to her, she looked up at me in surprise.
I held out the bandaid to her.
Although she was timid, she took it from me, and taped up my finger.

“Are you all right, Mochida-san?”

“Eh-”

“You do not look well.”

“Ah-, …yes. I’m fine…”