REIKA-SAMA - 094

Moving into the second half of summer break, it was time for the annual Pivoine Summer Party.
It was still gorgeous and a good time, but after so many years a lot of the magic had worn off, and Oniisama had graduated too.

Okaasama was in high spirits since parties were always a chance to dress me up like a doll, so she dragged me all over the place to choose a dress.

This year we decided on a layered chiffon dress in light pink. Personally I thought it was a little too cutesy for me, but Okaasama was really pleased with it.

Thinking it was a good chance, casually I said,

“Say, Okaasama, since is it summer after all, I was thinking about changing my hairstyle…”

“My, that wouldn’t do. Okaasama loves your hairstyle as it is, Reika-san.”

…Thought so. I mean, I knew this would happen. I just wanted to try.

“You know, as a child your Okaasama really loved Jumeau bisque dolls. It was my dream that if I ever had a daughter I would dress her up to be just as cute as one.”

Um, I think that might be a bit impossible. Aren’t they blonde for starters?
Thank god though that she never tried hair dye with me…
If you actually did have a kid like an antique doll, wouldn’t it be kind of scary though? She’d be just like a living doll. That has to be scary. I’d be scared. I’ve always hated dolls.
I mean, some of them are so realistic. Wouldn’t you be scared that they’d come to life at night? Particularly the Japanese ones…
You know, my house still has some of them around. Some of them were bought when I was just born, and some of them were passed down. And the older they were the creepier they were.
And each year when we brought them out it would always be like,

‘Huh? Were the eyes this squinted before? Was the mouth smirking like this before?’

It gave me the shivers. I swear their expressions changed each year.
And I know for a fact that they get hair cuts when we bring them to doll makers for maintenance.
…Does the hair grow or something? I’ve always been too scared of the answer to ask though.
Thankfully I at least stopped Okaasama from putting them in my room. Whenever I visit the doll room though, I swear they’re watching me.
I wouldn’t be surprised if that one antique one actually walked about at night. People always say that the old ones gain souls.
…Let’s stop this. If I keep thinking about this I might really wake up to find her standing on my chest. And when we’d look each other in the eyes and my hair would turn white in an instant. It actually seems like it could happen.

…But bisque dolls, huh.

Can’t be helped.

I decided to bear with my Rococo hairstyle for a little longer to help Okaasama fulfil her childhood dreams.

*

When I arrived at the Summer Party, Kaburagi and Enjou were already surrounded by a throng of girls.
Yurie-sama was still in the UK. I had been sure that Kaburagi would have skipped because of that, but I suppose he still had the sense to take these things seriously.
I exchanged greetings with other attendants with a drink in hand before heading out into the garden.
There was wind now that it was late, but it was still a little stuffy outside. It didn’t change the fact that the rose arch was still my favourite place each year.