Chapter 06

Christmas passed by and the students were coming back from their holidays. Soon the gang was complete again. 

Lily smiled at Katie. 'I've missed you and I meant to thank you for your gift. I brought something from my vacation as well', Lily said smiling and she gave Katie a small package. 'Oh Lily thank you', Katie said. 

'So now it is just us girls, you and Severus, how can you think that I would be mad at you for being with him', Lily said. 

'Well for once that I always thought that somehow you would end up with him', Katie said. 'I'm with James now, times change and I'm happy that you are happy, just don't let him hurt you, if he hurts you the way he hurt me I swear I'll kill him', Lily said. 'Lil', Katie said laughing not used to her friend being so defensive. 

Katie looked at Lily. Seven years, seven years they are best friends. She knew about her mermaid secret and never told a soul. She never treated her differently after she found out. 

'I wish you could come with me for a swim, I would love to show you the underwater world', Katie said sighting. 'I know, but the Black Lake, no thank you. An ocean will be possible if I can do that bubble spell perfectly', Lily said. 

Katie felt a tab on her shoulder and she looked right into Dumbledore's very distressed and worried eyes. 'Katie, I need to talk to you, in private, sorry miss Evans for my bluntness', Dumbledore said. 'It's all right professor Dumbledore, it's quite all right', Lily said smiling. 

'What's going on dad', Katie said. 'Not here, in my office', Dumbledore said. They ran into Severus. 'What's going on Katie, headmaster?', he asked worried. 'Nothing, I just want some time with my dad, I haven't seen him in a while, that's all. I'll see you in a few Sev', Katie said. Severus nodded but he didn't believed Katie when she said that it was just about her seeing her dad. 

They finally arrived in Dumbledore's office. 'Dad, what is it, please tell me', Katie begged. 'It's about your biological father, he escaped from Azkaban, the Ministry and I are on the same page with this matter. We think that he is looking for you', Dumbledore said. 

'I'm at Hogwarts, Hogwarts is the safest place I can be', Katie said. 'It is, it really is. The Dementors are haunting him down. It's only a matter of time before someone finds him', Dumbledore said. 

'How did he escaped, I thought Azkaban was unescapable', Katie said. 'It was, or is. But we think that your father hid some DNA from your mother, mermaid DNA. He drank her blood and could escape under water, unseen by Dementors', Dumbledore said. 'So he was a merman because of my mothers blood', Katie said slowly. 

'That is the theory, we believe though that he doesn't have anymore blood of your mother left. It is really only a matter of time, but in that time I must ask you to please be careful while you are outside the castle or swimming for that matter', Dumbledore said. 

'I shall watch over my shoulder, but dad. They better catch him fast', Katie said. 'For our sake, especially yours. I hope so', Dumbledore said. Katie hugged him. He hugged her back. 'I looked after you from the moment you were born, I'm not going to let him hurt you', Dumbledore promised. 'You are more like a father to me then he ever was or can be', Katie whispered. 

Dumbledore looked down at the girl who hugged him. She might not share his name, or blood. But she is family. He cared more about her then she could possibly know. 

Katie walked back to the Gryffindor common room. 'What was all that about', Remus said. 'Yeah, Lily told us you were with your father, having a very important talk, not "the" talk right, please don't tell me you and Snivillus are planning a wedding', Sirius said. 'Don't call him that and no, of course not, let's sit over there', Katie said pointing to a quiet spot. 

Katie made the choice that she could trust all of her friends with this, not only Lily. 

After she told the entire story Sirius mouth hung open. 'All this time, I thought we knew you', James said. 'I couldn't tell you, because I didn't want to put you all at risk, I still doubt that it was a good idea that I told you guys. I could tell Lily because in summer she was staying at muggles, she was safe. The rest of you weren't. So I couldn't tell you all', Katie said. 

Thank you for telling us', Peter said. Katie smiled at him. Mostly she found Peter an odd bloke. But this year she seemed to understand him more. 

'I just simply can't believe you haven't told me when we were together. How can you not tell your boyfriend such things. I assume that you will tell Snivillus now?', Sirius said a bit angry.

'Sirius please don't be like this, I kept it from all of you, not just from you. This was never suppose to be known about me. But right now my biological father is putting the wizarding world at risk and I felt you all should know who you are dealing with. He is a psycho. On his way to murder me', Katie said. 

'I'm sorry, I just need some time', Sirius said while he stood up. 'We might have none', Katie said. 'I still take my time', Sirius said. 

Sirius left. Remus sat next to her. 'Hey, I'm sorry about your father being a death Eather, just know that I'm here for you if you need me', Remus said. 'Thank you Remus, that means a lot. 'I'm sorry, just like Sirius, I need some time. I can't believe you told Lily, but neither of you felt the need to tell me', James said. 'It wasn't my place to tell, you can't possible be mad at that', Lily said angry. 'Watch me', James said and he went upstairs to the guys dormitory. 

'I'm sorry, I didn't meant to put a wedge between you and James', Katie said. 'He is just being a childish boy right now', Lily said. 

'We stand by you, no matter what', Peter said. 'Thank you Peter, you know. I have to confess that you and I were never close, but somehow this year I appreciate our friendship more then I used to, so thank you for that Peter', Katie said honestly. 

Peter smiled. 'Sirius and James will come around, watch as they will be totally normal by the end of the day', Peter said. 'Sirius and James normal, what kind of pill did you took Peter, when have were they ever be normal. When are we normal', Katie stated. They all laughed.