Chapter 16

I sit in the room with my family and Malakai, feeling numb and awkward. I do my best to hide the fang marks that a prominently in my neck and have made an indent. If dad sees I don't know what he would do, either congratulate or condemn him. Zach however, he would not be happy. He hates Malakai and I don't really know why, I don't think there's a particular reason.

It feels impossible for me to hate anyone, especially him, at this moment. It's as if there's a voice in me telling to forgive anyone who does me wrong and give them a second chance. They may not be human, humans are prone to mistakes and vampires can be at fault too. But there's a voice in me telling me to forgive everyone, is this Jesus or god?

The room as an aura of darkness, the darkness surrounds Malakai and I know everyone else can feel it in waves. He after all is know for his horrific and violent ways, he is known as the king of darkness for Christ sake. Light chatter is heard in the room, I hardly say anything though. I watch Malakai with a close eye, he smiles at my family and engages into conversation with them. Zachariah doesn't seem too happy about being in close proximity of Malakai. How can he fake all of this? Why can't he be like this with me? I sigh loudly, making everyone look at me.

Im leaning against the wall, looking sour, with my arms crossed over my chest. "Come over here sweetie," mum smiles brightly at me. I give her a look as there are no seats left to sit down on, so where exactly does she expect me to sit? On the glass table, only for it to shatter? Noticing the dilemma, she smirks and I know she has something planned. "Your mate is sitting down, you can just sit on his perfectly large, comfortable lap?" She offers, blinking innocently.

"Erm..." I trail off.

"Do it," Zach narrows his eyes. He still thinks something is wrong between us, so if I don't do it then more drama will start. Either Malakai or Zach will die from fighting. I sigh, almost unhappily  and wander over to Malakai. I sit down on his lap, that is too comfortable for my liking. He hooks an arm around to the front of my waist and pulls me close so my back is against his chest.

"So how has your relationship been? As fresh as ever?" Mum asks, wiggling her eyebrows at us. Dad sighs and shakes his head at her, not exactly wanting to hear what we've done. I scowl at mum, my cheeks flushing a bright red. I feel a large bulge underneath me and gulp, his arms tighten around me.

"You could say that," Malakai responds huskily.

"Well, its best we be gone. It was really good seeing you all, Malakai dont keep us away from our daughter again." It's dad who says this, clearly feeing awkward. They all stand, I get off Malakai so we can stand too. I watch as they shake hands, Zach just points to him.

"You better look after my sister, or watch out because I will come for you. I dont care if you're known as some 'king of darkness' because I'm the heir to be king. At the end of the day we have to come down to some sort of agreement, you are my sisters mate and we cant keep hating each other. Well, I hate you so I cant keep hating you. As long as you want what's best for my sister, I think we will all be happy because I want her to be happy in the end anyway," I hug Zach so tight, with so much love. He has always had my back, even though I know nothing he says will make Malakai change but its a start.

"Your sister is amazing, if anything she is too good for me." He looks at me and sighs, "I will tell you the rest when they leave," he wraps an arm around me and im left surprised. We say our goodbyes, Malakai and I are left standing there in silence.

"You had something else to say to me?" I ask him, he sighs and nods.

"I guess it's time to open up to you. You are my mate after all, sit down please," I take a seat and watch as he paces back and forth in nervousness. When he doesn't stop, I stand and grab his hand in a comforting manner. He sighs and sits down, pulling me with him. "My mum was abused by my father, they were mates.My idea of a mate was that you would love them unconditionally. But my father showed different ways, he constantly hurt her and I couldn't do anything about it. I was told that I would be exactly like him. As soon as I saw you I wanted to give you the best I could, I wanted to treat you right. But then I remembered how my dad treated my mum and I got scared. Yes, I got scared. You dont understand how much I have wanted to hold you, kiss you, joke around with you and make love to you. I thought pushing you away would be easier, I didn't want to hurt you. I never wanted that," he looks down, seeming embarrassed.

"Why did you listen to those people? Why would you ever listen to them? You treated me so well in the beginning, I knew you could have but you just pushed me away. You didn't need to, I would have helped and supported you. I still can," I sit on his lap, straddling him. I stroke his cheek and he closes his eyes in content. "Where is your mum now?" I ask.

"Mum met someone else. She got a second chance after I killed my father," my eyes widen and he sighs. "She couldn't get away from him, so I removed the problem. Mum lives among the humans, she doesn't want to be near the vampire society so she lives in an isolated area with her mate."

"Is he human or vampire?" I ask.

"He is vampire. He treats her well, they love each other. She would be disappointed in me if she knew how I have been treating you, I have been disappointed in me," he clenches his fists tightly.

"I forgive you," wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him. Our mouths slowly move against each others in sync and he tightens his hold on me. This kiss isn't sexual in any way, its slow and full of passion.I pull back and we smile against each other.

This is the beginning of something new, of something beautiful. This was the beginning of us loving each other.

                                                                                        //

People watch us closely as we walk hand in hand across the grass, I feel the east beneath y feet and I sigh in content. My connection to the earth is beautiful, its like everything is so much clearer. The sun is shining brightly, resembling my overly happy mood. There is not a cloud in sight, he leads me to a pond. A pond that has thousands of flowers surrounding it, all in different colours. A mine waterfall is surrounded by lily pads, I notice a green tree frog among the lilies. It's beautiful.

"I come here a lot, it's sorta my place.I wanted to show you and share this memory with you," he smiles slightly.

"What do you think about me being human? Does it bother you?" I ask, sitting down on the incredibly green grass.

"It only worries me. I cant protect you when im not around, im constantly nervous someone will come and hurt you. At least, if you were vampire then you could protect yourself," he replies.

"Theres something about myself that I dont even know. I feel strangely connected to the earth and I feel some sort of power in me that I cant control. Im conflicted, something I changing within me and I dont know what," I voice my worries. "I'm scared, you know the story of Kyn, the goddess?" he nods.

I pick at the grass in nervousness. Mum told not to tell anyone, but he is my mate. I surely can trust him. No one is around either, "what is it? You can trust me."

"Malakai, my full name is Catalena Kynthia King," his mouth drops open and he stares at me.

"You're her."