EPISODE 1 - A Case For The BISHOP

"Ah yes. Writey scribbly in your bookery. All uttery words speed of your pencilode must exceed my eyebold".

Original UK broadcast: September 21st, 1969 (ATV Midlands)

Written by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson

Directed by Alan Perry

Regular Cast: Father Unwin, Matthew, The Bishop, Mrs. Appleby

Additional Voice Cast:

Dreisenberg Ambassador David Healy
Ambassador's Aide Keith Alexander
Patterson Jeremy Wilkin
Saunders Keith Alexander
Captain Keith Alexander
Policeman Jeremy Wilkin
London Tower Controller Keith Alexander
Co-Pilot Gary Files
Healey Automation Guard Jeremy Wilkin
Telephone Voice Sylvia Anderson

Agents of the Dreisenberg Ambassador have stolen the Healy KX20 mini-computer, and plans to leave the country. With Matthew minaturised in the private jet, will Father Unwin be able to stop the Ambassador?

A Case For The BISHOP gives birth to The Secret Service, but it also ultimately results in its demise. Lew Grade cancelling the series the moment Father Unwin started speaking in his Unwinese, yet knowing the point that it was a main concept of the series. Essentially cancelling a series for one minor concept. It is believed that Lew Grade didn't like other aspects of the series, it's a series whether you love it, meh, or loath it, and unfortunately Grade loathed it. The opening episode to this disaster sets the pace for the thirteen episodes and was the only pilot episode of SUPERMARIONATION to feature the episode's title in the episode - the previous shows only being referred by the name that they are because of the title's name on the script.

The Century 21 Studios plays a part in the episode as the computer export division of Healy automation, which is only one example of the studio using live-action sets in the series. Centre Point and Horse Gardens Parade in London are just a few of the many locations the Century 21 Team went on. Although Gerry and Sylvia Anderson are credited for the episode, David Lane (uncredited as writer) also helped write up the opening episode," Gerry and I wrote the first episode at White Plains, Gerry's house in Gerrards Cross. We worked right through the night. He dictated it, and I would stop him now and then to make suggestions. Not only was I doing this with Gerry, but I was still filming and editing Joe 90. Gerry said he didn't want us to break after Joe 90, so we finished that on Friday and started shooting The Secret Service a few days later. I was working 18 hours a day. I don't know how I did it".

Following almost immediately from the final episode of Joe 90, The Secret Service's predecessor had already attained technical perfection, now The Secret Service was completely believable in the old, antique house of Father Unwin. Also by this time, it already appeared apparent that puppets from the previous SUPERMARIONATION series would appear as guest characters throughout the series; Captain Magenta played a Parishioner at the end of the episode, whilst Captain Ochre played the Co-Pilot, Dr Fawn also played Saunders at the start of the episode. David Healy would also give off an excellent performance in the episode as the Ambassador and the effective scenes with him really pull off how much he despises the British. The opening episode of the series is strong to open with, but obviously, at this point, it was clear that the quality wasn't as consistent as before...