EPISODE 5 - Last Train To Bufflers Halt

"I never handled one of these new fangled devices. How do you stop it?"

Original UK broadcast: October 19th, 1969 (ATV Midlands)

Written by: Tony Barwick

Directed by: Alan Perry

Regular cast: Father Unwin, Matthew, The Bishop, Blake

Additional voice cast:

Reed Keith Alexander
Albert Hobson Gary Files
Calow Jeremy Wilkin
Jackie Sylvia Anderson
Guard Jeremy Wilkin
McGrath Gary Files
BISHOP Agent Keith Alexander
Signalman Keith Alexander

After a failed attempt to steal a train on its way to London carrying £1 million in used bank notes, Father Unwin and Matthew are sent in to protect the train's cargo. Once the train is hi-jacked, Unwin finds himself unable to stop the vehicle as it hurtles towards London at 80mph...

Last Train To Buffler's Halt is another episode that has been well-received in the series, this time featuring a runaway train; unstoppable and on course for London. Original titles for the episode like "The Train" and "The Train In The Vicar's Library" were soon changed to the preferred title "Last Train To Buffler's Halt". This is also the final score Barry Gray would compose for the series, although a large portion of the tracks weren't actually used in the final episode, but an unused track from Joe 90's Three's A Crowd was used at the very start of the episode. Agent Blake makes his second appearance in the series with this episode, the puppet wasn't the only Spectrum Agent to be reused as BISHOP spy, Captain Ochre once again plays the BISHOP agent in the episode.