7. A Director's Perspective

The Secret Service consisted of a team of six directors. The same would go for the writing and voice work, the show would require a handful of people to do the same job as they were well acquainted with Anderson and how to work with the shows, most of them were at the helm for Joe 90. The director of A Case For The BISHOP, Last Train To Buffler's Halt and May-Day, May-Day was Alan Perry. When he first worked with the Andersons he was a camera operator for Stingray, Thunderbirds and the first feature film. He would then move to the role of a director for Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, Joe 90, The Secret Service and finally UFO. His other works include To Paris With Love, Green For Danger and The Mark Of Cain where he was an uncredited camera operator.

Ian Spurrier was an assistant director for Joe 90, for The Feathered Spies it gave him his first time to direct a full episode, but would return to his normal duties for School For Spies and More Haste, Less Speed. Brian Heard directed To Catch A Spy and Hole In One. He had joined the Andersons when he was the assistant director of the Joe 90 episode Mission X-41, before directing Trial At Sea. Peter Anderson, no relation to Gerry or Sylvia, had been an assistant director for six episodes of Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, Thunderbird 6 and the opening episode of Joe 90, before he moved on to direct seven episodes of that show. This led him to direct Recall To Service. Ken Turner directed most of the live-action sequences as well as being at the helm for School For Spies and More Haste, Less Speed - both requiring much location filming. He worked as an assistant director for Thunderbirds Are Go and also directing episodes of Captain Scarlet, Joe 90 and UFO. The final director was Leo Eaton, he first made it into the film industry which led him to greater successes later, starting out young with the script for Captain Scarlet's Place Of Angels, which he also directed. He went on to direct Expo 2068 and Flight To Atlantica, eight episodes of Joe 90 and four episodes of The Secret Service.