Part 21: The ball

Ellie and Lottie stood outside the Enormous rosewood hall theatre.

"It'll be ok, little princess." Ellie smiled, squeezing Lottie's hand.

The double doors swung open, revealing a beautiful room filled with sparkling chandeliers and glittering confetti falling from the ceiling. There were some 'wow's and 'oh my god's from the crowd of year 13 students all dressed in extravagant dresses and suits. No one knew who anyone was, as they were all in masks, but Lottie clung to Ellie's hand so they wouldn't get separated in the mass of students rushing into the room.

The girls split from the boys and stood at opposite sides of the room. Waltz music suddenly started and a few brave students stepped onto the dancefloor.
A boy with neat blonde hair held his hand out to Lottie and she grimaced and looked to Ellie, who just grinned and rushed off. Lottie reluctantly took his gloved hand and they started to dance. She didn't say anything, petrified something would go wrong again.

"Your an excellent dancer." The boy said, smiling at her reassuringly.

"Why, thank you." Lottie muttered, trying to disguise her voice as best she could.

The song ended and everybody stopped dancing, waiting for the next song. The crowd separated again, waiting for the music.

"We have a... Surprise announcement." Professor Devine smiled. All the teachers were wearing masks, however you could tell it was professor Devine by her red, spiky hair.
"There will be a ball king and queen!" She announced, grinning as mutters and murmurs spread across the theatre. The chairs had all been taken out purely for this ball, so there was a considerable amount of floor space. Luckily, the chairs weren't attached to the hard wooden floor, so the theatre was one of the most versatile rooms in rosewood.

The music suddenly started again and a boy with a burgundy suit on held his hand out to her. She knew by his short cut afro and charming smile it was Raphael.

"Hello, Raphael." Lottie laughed.

"Who is this Raphael you speak of?" He mocked, "I am handsome prince Wilcox, king of.... Err... This land!"

She took his hand and they started to dance. She giggled every time he stumbled and accidentally stood on her toe. It was clear that etiquette class hadn't been very effective. At all.

"One more dance until we announce the King and Queen!"

Everyone shuddered at Professor Devine's words, all clearly very anxious. No one else offered their hand to Lottie, so she smiled at a boy stood on his own, clearly reluctant.

"Excuse me?" She said.

The boy looked at her, a frown forming on his face.

"Yes?" He asked impatiently.

"Are you ok?"

"I'm fine."

Lottie stared around suddenly realising everyone else had a dancing partner.

"Do you... Want to dance?"

"We don't really have a choice." He muttered, taking her hand.

They started to dance, and to Lottie's surprise it was quite comforting. He was stiff, however soft at the same time. She had to find out who this boy was.

As the dance stopped, the professors stood on the stage, staring out onto the dancefloor.

"Can the girl with the gold and white mask and her partner come up please?" Headmaster Croak literally croaked, pointing to Lottie.

She sighed and walked up to the stage with the boy, standing on a small platform.

"Masks?" Professor Devine smiled.

Lottie took if her mask and so did the boy. To her utter astonishment, it was Jamie. Lottie gasped. The boy who had betrayed her. The boy she still loved. Lottie suddenly kissed him. The crowd went wild.