Chapter 30

The noise in the throne room was deafening. Simien Smirnov, the king's advisor, was trying to calm everyone down but it was not working.

"LOOK AT HOW UPSET THEY ARE!"

"ELLIE STOP!"

"ELEANOR! THEY ARE HERE TO PROTECT YOU!"

"ALEXANDER! THEY ARE TEENAGERS!"

"ALRIGHT!" Lottie's voice came shaky, but loud and clear. Everyone turned to her. King Alexander, Queen Matilde and Ellie all looked furious.

"Jamie and I will go, your majesty. Whatever it takes," she took a deep breath, "to keep Ellie safe."

"NO!" both Ellie and Queen Matilde shouted.

Lottie suddenly froze. She turned slowly to look at the empty space behind her. She looked at Ellie, who looked horrified.

"Let's go." Ellie grabbed Lottie's arm and moved her towards the door.

"ELEANOR PRUDENCE WOLFSON COME BACK HERE RIGHT THIS-"

Ellie closed the door and pulled Lottie down the corridor.

"Ellie where do we go?" She asked calmly, though Ellie could hear the panic in her voice.

"He can't have left yet. It'll be fine." Ellie said, not quite believing herself. Lottie nodded slowly, taking Ellie's hand and squeezing it like Ellie had for her so many times.

"Wait. Lottie. Why don't we just check his room?" Ellie asked.

"Yes..." Lottie said, sounding distant.

They walked up the stairs towards Jamie's room. When they arrived Lottie slowly knocked on the door. There was no answer.

"Jamie?" they both called. Ellie let out a growl and shoved the door open. Jamie was sat on his bed, strumming his guitar.

"Jamie, are-" Lottie stopped mid sentence. She knew he would hate being asked that. He ignored them, placing his guitar back in its case and sat back down. They both sat down next to him. They all sat in silence for the next couple of minutes, clearly thinking hard. At some point, they all fell asleep, lying there together.