💎Mrs. Lester💎

Dan spent a lot of the day curled up on Ant's floor, playing soldiers and building little hideaways out of the big colorful blocks that lined his room. While Ant went on and on about the little story he had created in his mind about the soldiers, Daniel couldn't help but jump to text PJ back every time he texted. He smiled at his phone, PJ had sent him some cheesy pickup line when Ant fell quiet.

"No buddy, keep going, I'm listening." The boy lied, still not looking up from his device. But still: silence. Dan finally looked up to see the pudgy boy frowning, little bottom lip hanging out of his mouth like a piece of bubblegum. He threw his hands to his hands in fists, little curls still curled around the fake soldier. "What is it bud?"

"Get off your phone. Mommy is always on the phone," His big eyes shined in the bedroom light, Daniel was afraid he would cry. "I hate mommy." Daniel still had yet to meet Mrs. Lester, or Haillie as Phil had said. She can be a little mean so just ignore her. What had he meant by mean?

"I'm sorry, Ant. It's off, see?" He powered off his phone and slipped it back in his pocket, sitting up from the way he was laid on his side. "I'm sorry, I'm not like mommy."

"Promise?" 

"Promise," A little pinky finger rose into the air, Dan smiled softly and wrapped his pinky around Ant's before pulling away. "You hungry?" Anthony nodded. The boy stood to his feet, twisting in hopes to pop his back to relieve some pain from laying on the floor. Daniel scooped up the baby in the same way Phil had, his butt perched on his hip. 

They made their way downstairs, Ant squirming as they passed into the living room. Daniel set him down gently, watching as he ran to the couch and plopped down in front of the big TV. He grabbed the remote from the arm of the white couch, pressing the big red button. The TV flicked to life, a drama show appeared. It didn't take long before Ant remembered the number for cartoons, the show disappearing before a new one reappeared. He was smart for five year old- Daniel could barely remember his ABC's when he was five. 

The boy crossed into the large kitchen, flicking on the light and checking the time. It was 4:00, perfect time to start dinner. He searched through the cabinet's and was in awe at all of the food they had stocked. He almost knew how to make pasta, how was he supposed to grill up steak for him and a five-year-old? He decided on something easy, something his mother had taught him how to make when he was in middle school. He pulled out the mash potatoes and corn, searching the freezer for what he needed, and low-and-behold he found it. Little chicken balls. He cooked up the mash potatoes, defrosting the chicken in the microwave and boiled the corn on the stove. He topped all of it off with sprinkles of cheese. He scooped all of it into two bowls, scattering the chicken around before piling on corn then caking the top in cheese. 

Anthony dived right in, the corners of his mouth lined with potatoes. Daniel had made them move to the dining room table, they ate in silence before Dan asked. "How many babysitters have you had?"

"A lot. Mommy doesn't like them so she always scared them off."

"She did?" The older boys eyes widened, his brain automatically thinking of all the reasons she would do that. Was he cheating? Did he think he was cheating?

"Yeah. They were all girls so mommy made daddy hire a boy." Anthony quipped, shoveling a fork-full of yellow corn into his mouth. Dan nodded along, listening to the toddler talk about all of the other little kids at his school. It wasn't until long after their food was gone when Anthony said he was going back to the couch. The boy gathered the bowls and brought them into the sink, collecting the other pots he used to make dinner and pouring the rest of the food into the trash. It wasn't until when his hands were deep into soapy waters when he heard the door open then close, he looked at the clock on the oven, 5 o'clock. It must be Haillie. 

He recognized that sound, the sound of heels clicking against the tiled floors, it gave him memories of the principle that used to glare at him in the halls, her lipstick crumbly and stained on her thin lips. He turned his head to see a young blonde woman standing in the doorway, she didn't look very old, maybe a couple of years older than Dan. Definitely not old enough to be a five-year old's mother. 

"Hi," The boy smiled. "I'm Dan. You must be Haillie," 

Her face crumpled into disgust, her lips rising into a frown. "Mrs. Lester, please."

"Right, sorry. Mrs. Lester," Dan corrected himself, returning back to the dishes.

"What did you make?" She asked, sniffing the air like a hound dog. Her hair was wavy and long, almost hitting her bottom. She was dressed in a light pink summer dress, white heels that wrapped around her ankles but flashed her pedicure on her perfectly shined toes.

"I made a potato and chicken bowl." He washed the dishes and drained the sink, rising everything before placing them to the side.

"Sounds disgusting," She claimed out loud. Her heels clicked together as she went to exit the room, but she topped in the doorway. She glanced over her shoulder to see Dan drying his hands on the throw towel. "You look hideous by the way, please wear something more appropriately next time." Then she walked out, all the way up the big wooden stairs, slamming a door upstairs

I hate mommy. "Me too, buddy," Dan whispered to himself.