[9]

Steve was silent on the jet, saying nothing in response to questions, communicating every now and then with nods and grunts. Only Sam and Wanda knew why he was so quiet, the rest of the team put it down to friendship. Steve and Elodie have always been close, he recruited her and showed her the ropes, of course he'd be upset. But Wanda could feel the anger radiating from him, Sam noticed the shift in attitude and Bucky, he saw the twinkle in his eye disappear.

Tony used Friday to analyse all cameras in the area to find the vehicle they suspected Elodie to be inside of. The group were all in the jet now and hovering above the Cotswolds just waiting for their next move.

"We got a lead." Tony burst through the cab into the main area of the jet where all avengers sat. "The bus was spotted heading south along the A419 towards Swindon."

"Let's move." Sam spoke seriously.

——————-

The van pulled over at the side of the busy road and the two men and women dragged an unconscious Elodie through the wooded area at the side of the road.

As the trees cleared they came to the back of an old house, a black suv parked outside. The group trudged over and placed Elodie in the back side, strapping her in and placing her head against the window to make it look like she was sleeping.

And then they drove of into the English countryside.

.....................................................................

Steve Rogers opened the door to his apartment and was it with the smell of pancakes and freshly squeezed orange juice. He smiled to himself, the sides of his eyes wrinkling. He shook his head as he thought of her, spending the day in that kitchen doing what she loved but would never admit she loved.

"I'm home babe." He shouted discarding his keys in the black marble bowl situated on top of the mini white bookcase. He shrugged of his coat and quickly hung it up on the closet before heading into the kitchen.

There stood Elodie, wrapped in a white apron to protect the pretty blue dress she had thrown on this morning. Her brown flats had flour dusted over them as she made an absolute mess. Steve always said she was a tornado in the kitchen. She was chopping up fresh fruit on the wooden board when she noticed his presence, then she stopped. She tended up, her shoulders rising and staying as if she was holding her breath.

Steve forehead wrinkled as he stood concerned. "Sweetheart?"

Elodie slowly turned around as she did she revealed her front, the white apron covered in blood. Her eyes showed pure fright and her lip quivered. Steve stopped, horrified at the scene before him. The knife that Elodie had been using to chop fruit was now in her abdomen.

"Steve?" A male voice called from behind him. He looked over his shoulder to see Bucky. "Steve wake up!"

——

Steve jolted as his eyes opened he looked around frantically as he escaped that nightmare. He saw that he was back at the Avengers facility and had been napping on their red couch. Then he felt a hand on his shoulder, his instincts kicked in and within 0.2 seconds of the hand landing on him he had grabbed it and yanked the person over his shoulder.

Steve watched anxiously as Bucky few through the air before his back collided with the hard grey wall. "Crap! Sorry Buck." Steve rushed to his feet to help his friend up from the floor.

Bucky pulled a distressed face as he clambered to his feet. "It's fine Steve. You know what they say, never wake a sleeping soldier."

Steve nodded and wiped the sweat from his brow. Bucky eyed him suspiciously and asked, "Another nightmare huh?" Steve nodded and sauntered back to the couch. Bucky followed and sat opposite on the chair.

Steve sighed and let his head fall into his hands. His elbows were digging into his knees as he used his arms to support his head. "I feel." He paused. "Deflated."

Bucky nodded. He didn't know what to say, what words could possibly make this situation any better. But he knew Steve couldn't carry on like this. The late nights and short naps, running on coffee and adrenaline. Going undercover until the sun rose and researching until it set again. "Steve you need to go to bed, get more than an hours sleep."

"I can't Buck I'm meeting with the FBI in a few hours." Steve told him rubbing his tired eyes with his bruises knuckles. His eyes were red enough as they were without him irritating them further, but he needed to keep himself awake.

"No you're not. Go to bed and I'll take care of it. Me and Nat will go in your place." Bucky instructed, worried that if his friend carried on he'd collapse.

"No, no. I should go." Steve shook his head in defiance.

"You can't carry on like this Steve!" Bucky finally snapped. His voice got louder and harsher as he did.

Steve shook his head and also become harsher. He was frustrated that they hadn't gotten anywhere with the investigation and was annoyed that his friends kept badgering him to take a break. "I don't know whAT I'M SUPPOSED TO DO!" He shouted back angrily. He pushed his longer hair out of his face and clutched the strands.

Bucky's jaw clenched as he nodded. He had kept his mouth shut for so long and he couldn't do it anymore. "You're making yourself sick Steve. It's been eight months. Elodie has been missing for eight months."

"You don't have to remind me." Steve said softly, looking at him with tears in his eyes. "I need to go to this meeting. I need to know what they've found because...I need it. I need something."

Bucky nodded. "I understand. Take all the time you need. I'm going to go call Sam and Wanda, see if they've got any leads or, anything." Bucky presses his hands to his thighs as he pulled himself up. Sam and Wanda have been living in England for the passed eight months, doing everything they could to find information, leads, evidence. Anything they could to find Elodie.

Natasha and Tony went from meeting to meeting with local police, MI5, Interpol, and finally today, Steve would be meeting Nat and Tony in New York to sit down with the FBI and talk about Serpentine and all that they've found.