[17]

Things had been pretty rocky between Steve and I recently. It's been two months since the whole nearly dying thing and he hasn't gotten over it. Everywhere I go, everywhere I turn he's right there. And it's not like we're even dating.

His friend Sharon has been hanging around trying to get him to go out with her for weeks now and he's blind to it. He's too busy trying to stop me from doing anything. That includes lifting things, going on missions and being alone!

I was stood there flipping through my mail when it happened again. Steve had walked me down to the ground floor (even after our twenty minute argument where I insisted I was fine) and was stood beside me at the mail cabinet. Sharon was stood just over a bit pulling her curly blonde locks from her ponytail, letting it rest on her shoulders. She shook her head to act nonchalant and shrugged. "Hey Steve. Lydia."

I lightly laughed and rolled my eyes. Of course she'd try and make me feel lesser. "Hi Shirley." I gave her a smile. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I took it out, seeing I got a text from Sam asking for me to bring his mail up too.

"It's Sharon." She corrected.

"It's not important." I tried not to bite but being around her was like being back in high school. She was one of the populars and I was with the norms (we weren't popular or nerdy so we just floated around in the middle) minding my own business.

Steve sent me wide eyes signalling for me to be more polite. I narrowed my eyes at him and then began my search for Sam's mail. As I tapped his code into the little device on his locker, I heard Sharon shuffle closer to Steve. From the corner of my eye I kept watch.

She placed a brave hand on his bicep and fluttered her eyelashes. I felt jealousy rise through me. I know it was wrong because we weren't officially "together" but we may as well be. We do everything together, even if I'm not totally thrilled about it (sometimes you just need to be able to read a book in peace. Alone. In your room. Alone.) We've shared so many lovely moments. Soft kisses in the morning and sharing incredibly intimate nights.

"So I was invited to that museum gala that Stark's sponsoring. I was just wondering if you'd want to be my date?"

I could see Steve look back at me from the corner of my eye. I pretended not to be listening to hear his reply. I know that seems sly but I couldn't help myself.

"That is a really sweet offer, Sharon. But I'm going to have to decline." Steve said politely and respectfully.

"Oh..." Sharon frowned, not expecting him to say no to her. "Well that's alright."

I started to feel bad for her. She was really disappointed and I know how daunting it is to put yourself out there and get shot down.

"I'll see you guys later." She nervously tucked her hair behind her ear and began walking away.

"Sharon wait." I called, basically pushing mine and Sam's mail into Steve's arms and rushing forward. Sharon stopped and turned around, her cheeks were flushed and her neck had turned a bright shade of red. I knew that shade well, it's called embarrassment and you can find it at Sephora.

"The gala is tomorrow so I'm going shopping now but later-"

"Please Elodie you don't have to invite me to go dress shopping." Sharon shook her head with a sneer.

I stood up straight, confused. I was trying to be nice to her and she laughs at me? "Okay well if you had let me finish I was going to ask if you wanted to train later? I know we haven't had the opportunity to work together yet and it could be a nice way to get to know each other."

"Right." Sharon thought about it for a moment and began to nod, but I didn't want to give her the satisfaction now. Even after the obvious flirting with Steve and trying to belittle me, I was still willing to be her friend. But not anymore.

"But never mind. I'll see you around, Sally."

//////////////////////

Steve stood there and watched as the old Elodie sprang to the surface. The snarky, mean spirited girl he first recruited. It reminded him of how stubborn and hot tempered she used to be.

He couldn't help but wonder, after all this time of being so down to earth and calm, why was she suddenly so irritable and snappy?

He watched her walk passed a jaw-dropped Sharon and glide her way up the staircase, like an angel in disguise.

He thought the world of Elodie and knew her well enough to know that after how close they had been recently, seeing Sharon flirt with him must have hurt her. That's why he made a point of turning her down in front of El. But surely that wouldn't make her nasty? Would it?