[16]

Elodie's POV.

I had been awake now for 7 hours, hooked up to a machine that was supposedly rebuilding my skin. When I woke up I was choking on one of the breathing tubes that was keeping me alive while Natasha and for some reason, my sister Hope, were watching in fear. As soon as Bruce handed me the cup of water and I downed it, I felt so much better. I'm not sure if it was the dry mouth and throat or just having some fresh drinking water but either way, it instantly made me feel better.

Natasha came and kneeled at the top of my bed. She pressed a soft kiss to my forehead and wrapped the top part of me (the part that wasn't in the machine) in a loving hug. She whispered in my ear "I'm so glad you're ok!" And I shut my eyes, basking in the affection of another human after months of cold torture. Natasha then whispered even quieter, "If you want me to get rid of her just wink." She gave me a gentle squeeze and pulled back.

Hope lingered behind eagerly. As soon as Nat stepped back she lunges at me. She gave me a hug and stepped back. "Oh Ellie, I'm so sorry that this happened to you."

"I'm okay." I shrugged, looking over at Dr Cho and Bruce for confirmation.

Dr Cho nodded and stepped forward, holding a Stark branded tablet. She scrolled down and clicked on a few things before nodding. "You're awake a bit earlier than we anticipated but you're doing well, that's all that matters."

Bruce then stopped beside her and added, "Of course we'd like to keep you hear a bit longer. The machine is still rebuilding some muscles and nerves in your legs and that'll take some time before it rebuilds skin. But that shouldn't take longer than a day or two. It rebuilt your entire stomach, torso area in hours. You're chest and neck took a day and that was pretty bed-" Helen gave Bruce a wack to the chest with her StarkPad, telling him to shut up.

Bruce was about to complain before catching my eye. He saw that he had freaked me out and he gave me a sympathetic, sorry smile.

I didn't want to acknowledge what happened to me. I want to move on. "It's ok Bruce. Thank you for taking such good care of me." Bruce nodded and walked over to the counter to continue with whatever he was previously doing. I then looked over to the doctor/scientist who's machine had saved my life.

"Dr Cho, I cannot thank you enough for what you've done for me. I mean I witnessed this machine fix Clint a few years ago and it helped to create Vision. Your work here, it has literally saved my life. Thank you so much."

Helen smiled proudly and was so happy that she had saved a life. "You're welcome, Elodie. You don't have to thank me, I'm just glad you're ok."

"Am I?" I asked, not knowing if I wanted the actual answer.

Helen folded her arms and let the StarkPad rest against her side. "What do you mean?" She asked, her voice full of concern and intrigue.

I looked between my sister and Natasha before looking back at Dr Cho. "I just." I had to pause. I didn't really know what to say, I just felt weird. "It doesn't matter. I guess I'm still in shock after uh, you know. What happened."

Dr Cho nodded. "Of course. That's expected. I'm going to finish up some work with Dr Banner. Please, if you're up to it, invite your friends and family up here. I think it'll do you good to see some familiar faces."

Will it? I thought Lexi was a familiar face and look what she did to me. And Family. Ha. Wait a second...Hope's here. That means that my parents are probably here, crap!

Before I could even say another word the door opened and in ran my mother. "Elodie! Sweetheart!" She smothered me in a hug and covered my face in kisses.