Chapter 4

Word Count: 945

Warnings: Just a little angst

Authors note: Here is chapter 4! I hope you enjoy, and I'm sorry these chapters are so short. This was my first attempt at writing a series.

"You got chosen to be a listener!?" Connor screamed, standing up and practically shoving his chair over.

"Momma??" Autumn looked up at you. You could see the excitement in her eyes, but you could tell she didn't want to show it.

"That's amazing sweetie!" You reached across the table and gave her arm a reassuring rub.

"What does it even mean?" she asked.

"It means you don't get to work and you get everything given to you," Connor slumped back into his chair and crossed his arms with annoyance.

"No, it means that you were chosen as one of the special little girls who will get to listen and view all the pop culture in the world! You get to experience things that none of us will ever get to listen to!" you tried to explain and Autumn got even more excited.

"I get to listen to music??"

"Yep, and you get to watch movies, and meet celebrities. You get to report back to Nico and choose which ones he can view as well! It's an important job. Remember how we explained how all jobs are important? Society needs listeners.". You wished that Tyler was here to help deal with Connor, as you were trying to explain this in the best way possible.

You knew that Tyler would be upset knowing that his own daughter was chosen to be a listener, and you were trying so hard to be supportive of Autumn, but you truly wished she could have gotten any other job out there.

Dinner ended and you sent Connor up to put Westley to bed. Autumn was downstairs with you helping with the dishes, and you and her continued to have a conversation about what her life was going to be like starting monday, when she begins her specialized classes for her job assignment.

Hours passed while you helped Autumn and Connor with left over school work, and it started to get late.

"Where's dad? It's almost bedtime," Connor asked while he brushed his teeth.

"He's probably still with Josh." You comforted him. A wave of anxiety filled your stomach. He has been coming home later and later the past few weeks from his walks with Josh, and you always wondered if he was even with Josh.

When it was finally bed time you said goodnight to Connor, tucked Autumn in, gave her a kiss, and wished her sweet dreams before closing the door ajar.

You headed to your bedroom to start getting ready yourself when you hear the front door open. You could tell Tyler was trying to be quiet by the way he shut the door, but you were already headed down the stairs to confront him.

"Where the hell have you been?" you asked, turning on the kitchen light. He was covered in sweat.

"I was with Josh," he stated but you rolled your eyes.

"For almost four hours? The last time I checked you don't sweat this much when taking a walk." You crossed your arms and stood in front of the stairway so he couldn't go up.

Tyler looked exhausted. He had bags under his eyes, and his dark, short hair was ruffled on top. He ran his hand through his hair and sighed.

"Can we at least talk upstairs?" He asked and you nodded. He followed you upstairs into your bedroom, and he shut the door once you both were in there.

"Now please tell me what you were doing that was so important that you missed your daughter finding out she was chosen to be a listener." You started to raise your voice.

"She's a listener?"

"Answer me first." You stared him dead in his eyes, and he looked lost for words.

"I..I don't know where to start," he muttered.

"How about from the beginning?" You started to tap your foot as you got impatient.

"I was with Josh, playing music," he blurted out.. You looked at him blankly, processing what he just said.

"Excuse me? What in the name of god do you mean?" You start to raise your voice even more, which only made Tyler get louder as well.

"For the Banditos!" He screamed.

"Who? How long have you been keeping secrets from me?" You felt that familiar lump form in your throat. Your worst fear was coming true. He wasn't on a walk.

"Shh, stop yelling." he started to whisper, noticing how your voice cracked when you said the word secrets. "Josh and I have been playing music for this secret group. They started to call themselves the Banditos."

"Where have you been doing this?" You asked, still confused how he has gotten away with this. Dema was strict when it came to music, compared to other pop culture. They had spys everywhere, some people believed that there were vulture's that flew around Dema, spying to report back to Nico.

"One day Josh found this underground tunnel that leads to this huge trench. That's what we've called it. Trench. It's our safe space because we can play as loud as we can and no one can hear. We can finally play concerts again." Tyler walked over to you and tried to grab your hands in a way to try to make you understand, but you quickly snatched them away.

"I can't believe you have been lying to me for this long." You turned around so you weren't looking at him anymore. You noticed your door was open ajar, and you walked over and found Autumn sitting outside listening in.

"Autumn? How long have you been there?" You demanded, looking over quickly to Tyler who had a look of fear in his eyes.