Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Word count: 909

Warnings: A hint of angst (maybe?)

Author's note: Hope you enjoy!

It's been about three months since Tyler announced to the family about playing music to his secret group, the Banditos, in the trench-like cave. It had also been three months since Autumn had started her job-specific classes, where she got to start her training and learning for becoming a listener.

"How were classes today?" you asked Autumn as she walked into the house after coming home from a long day at school.

"It was boring, all I did was learn about different type of musical instruments today," she explained, and you gave her a pat on the head as you headed over to the kitchen to make lunch for her and Connor.

"I finally got my gel electrophoresis to work for this DNA sample!" Connor happily exclaimed. You were glad that he was starting to be content again, especially after everything that had happened with Autumn becoming a listener, and finding out about his dad's secret group.

"That's amazing Con!" You gave him a small hug before he headed upstairs to start working on his homework.

"Momma, where's Daddy?" Autumn asked you.

"He's out with Uncle Josh, he'll be home later before dinner!"

"Is he playing music?"

You shushed her, "Sweetie, remember we can't talk about it out loud a lot because we never know who's listening."

"But he talks about it a lot?" She asked, confused.

"I know, but let's just not risk it anymore." You gave your daughter a kiss on her forehead while placing a bowl of fruit in front of her.

"Is it the vultures?" she asked, looking out the window at the big black words that would walk around the neighborhood. You remembered when they first got introduced to Dema, it seemed like they made everything darker.

"That's just a myth that they can hear us, they're just animals," you reassured her, even though you didn't fully believe yourself. The way the vultures would look at you when you would walk to your car always made you uneasy. It was as if the vultures enjoyed the sadness of the human population.

For the next two hours, you helped Autumn with homework and was playing with Westley, while Connor stayed up in his room working on his homework still. Westley was so close to saying his first word, and you kept on trying to coax him into saying 'momma'. You were interrupted while your front door was thrown open and a sweaty Tyler stood there, eyes wide with fear.

"We have to move, they've found us," he stammered. He was bent over and was out of breath. He must have ran all the way.

"What do you mean?" You were at his side immediately, holding him. His heart was racing, and sweat was dripping from all over his body. He was shaking as well, and you brought him over to the couch.

"Connor!" you yelled upstairs, "Come get Autumn and Westley, please!"

"What's going on?" Connor asked while coming down the stairs. He stared at Tyler who was sitting on the couch, almost dry heaving.

"Just take your sibling's and stay upstairs," you said more sternly than you should of. You could tell from Autumn and Connor's face that you were scaring them.

You kept on trying to calm Tyler down so he was able to talk, but there wasn't much that was helping. He sat on the couch, bent over, while you rested on the ground holding his knees.

"Ty, it's going to be okay, but you have to tell me what happened," you whispered softly.

"They...found us," he spoke with a raspy voice. The front door burst open again, and Josh was standing there, also out of breath.

"Josh! What the hell is going on?" you demanded an answer.

"He hasn't told you?"

You shook your head and explained to Josh how Tyler hasn't been able to calm down and speak, and all he had said was 'they found us.'

"We were playing a show and someone wearing all red busted in, and it was obvious he was apart of a Niner group." Josh started to explain.

"A Niner group? Like someone who reports back to the Niners?"

Josh nods, "Except they aren't official. They think they're being vigilantes but this is very dangerous. Everyone ran and it was insane. I'm surprised no one got hurt."

"That's why we have to move because there's no way they aren't going to tell the Niner's. We need to move," Tyler interrupted.

"How are we supposed to just move provinces without the Bishops becoming curious?"

"We can tell them that your job isn't doing well here," Tyler suggested, and you nodded at his idea.

"But the kids," you started to pace around the room, thinking about how your whole family's life is now at stake.

"Families move all the time, Y/N. It will be okay, and we will be safer. I promise." Tyler walked over to you and pulled you into a deep hug. Josh walked over and joined the hug too.

"Josh?" you laughed a little.

"I wanted to be a part of the moment, sorry." This comment made all three of you laugh, and forget for a second of everything that's happened.

"I guess I should go tell the kids, huh?" Tyler sighed.

"All three of us can do it," Josh suggested, and you nodded.

"Let's head up." you grabbed Tyler's hand and started to walk up the stairs to Connor's bedroom.