Chapter 31

Fenris had missed walking with Cassandra, he realized. He'd known all along something had been missing when he was traveling with Lycaon and Morrigan, something more than his soulmate, but he'd never been able to pinpoint it exactly. It was only now, as the two soulmates trudged flank to flank in the snow as they descended the mountains, going East, that he finally understood it.

     Traveling with his Little Wolf was a gift from the Gods, because she was so cute and terrifying as she took on the role of Alpha like it had been hers all along, and she was so hilarious to tease because she could tease back, and Fenris loved it all.

Why are you looking at me like that, freak?

     He'd even missed her insults.

You're beautiful.

I know. You don't have to tell me. I'm well aware.

     She paused for a second and Fenris thought she was finished.

You're handsome.

Why, thank you, Little Wolf! And it's not because you know you're beautiful that I'm going to stop telling you.

Thank Gods. You're my soulmate. You're supposed to tell me I'm the most amazing thing that has ever happened to you. You're one of the best things that have happened to me too.

Awww, thank you, Little Wolf.

     They were silent for a while, the only sound slashing through the air being their pants and the almost silent crunch of their paws breaking through the snow. It was almost spring, and the difference in temperature between the day and the night coated the mountains in a sheen of ice over the diamond-like snowflakes.

     Lycaon, Morrigan, Teras and Etna were all following in their footsteps, entertaining what looked to be like a very heated debate. Knowing Lycaon and Morrigan, it was sure to be over how much Nutella could be put on a toast before it wasn't toast with Nutella but Nutella with toast.

     Suddenly, a question popped into his head.

Why were you so cold and hateful towards me at first?

     He felt and saw his soulmate tense. A ripple of unease coiled around the bond, sending a wavelength of iciness down his side.

I wasn't cold.

     Fenris could smell the sour tang of the lie from a hundred miles away. Features could be schooled, scents could not.

You're lying. You know it. You can tell me anything, Little Wolf, you know that, right?

I don't know, Fenris, I don't know. The select few people I've trusted sank a dagger in my back.

But I'm not like them, Little Wolf. Hurting you in any way would destroy me. I'm not joking right now.

I made a bet with my old Alpha, at Sand Dunes Pack. He said that if I came back without having been claimed, he would stop sending females to the Heat. I thought you were going to take advantage of me. Wolves are hungry for power, for more than they have. They like challenges, and will do anything to overcome them.

Quick question, Little Wolf. Am I aloud to go back and kill him? I'll make it speedy.

No.

Okay, back to the matters at hand. What made you so anti-Heat in the first place?

I'm not like most females, Fenris, I thought it was established. I discovered very young I had the same potential as the males my age. I was insubordinate. I'm an Alpha, and have always been. I bow to no one.