Chapter 11

He carefully adjusted his mask and anchored his backpack on one shoulder. He looked at her, whose mask covers half of her beautiful face, despite not seeing the whole of it, he can see her unease.

He reached for her hand, and she turned to him. Beneath the masks, are smiles only meant for each other.

They are going back to Beijing today.

Yesterday was their last day in Arxan as workers, they part as friends.

Xi Ze and Kuan had to leave before them because of other engagements.
What was left was the four of them, and their boss couple.

Shen Yue was emotional the whole time. Her eyes were always brimming with tears.

It is an experience she will never forget.

The people they met and worked with, the place, and the laughter and tears they shared changed her forever.

And Didi...

Ofcourse, a huge chunk of it is because of Didi.

The immature, sometimes overbearing boy became not just her friend in banter, but also in every struggle along the way. He became a rock she can count on.

Albeit bittersweet, she's leaving this beautiful place knowing it did more to her than her to it. Witnessing the lives of different people she met during her stay, she realised that people have unique challenges, unique happiness, and unique tears - something they carry that also motivates them to push forward, to face life.

And the least we can do, is be kind.

She never fully realised the value of a simple kindness, how it can create a ripple effect, and make everyone around you, to be kind as well.

Also, it has been three weeks since his confession.

One more week.

She's curious as to what his realisation is.

But does she really need to know? When he looks at her like this?

And does he really need to know what she feels right now when she holds on to him like this? Warmth exchanged as they locked their fingers underneath their oversized coats.

They boarded the plane. Sat beside each other and stared at Arxan as it became like a tiny lump of snow.

Yue woke up when she felt Didi squeeze her hand. How long did they hold each other's hand? She felt the cold seep in when Didi left it as he took their luggages from the compartment.

After putting everything down, Didi settled his hands on the armrest and stared at her.
This is where they will have to part ways.

"Are you okay?" He said softly.

"Never been better." She smiled with sleep still in her eyes.

He leaned down to her level and kissed her just on the top of her eyes.

She grinned at him and he ruffled her hair.

"Hey!"

He smiled back, and proceeded to the exit. He looked down for a bit, looked back and gestured his phone.

See you later?

She tried to hide her smile as she type.

See you :)

He texted back.

Hey. Get off your ass, we're leaving.

Shen Yue jumped off and collected her things and rushed to the exit, trying to hide her blushed face from everyone by wearing her mask, listening to Didi as he chuckle.