March 9, 2019

Shuffling in the Dark

Fearful of night terrors, I roamed the castle. But only at night. So many hidden moments happened at nights. Servants and maids prepping for the day to come, the King walking around, because he couldn't sleep.

I wasn't technically allowed to be out past midnight, because that's when the changing of the guards happened, and they always made sure that no one was out and about at night. That prevented attacks from coming about, and also disturbing the peace of the night.

One particular night, I was up late studying, but decided to rest my eyes for a bit. So, leaving my room, I shuffled softly to the kitchen to find something to eat. The kitchen staff didn't mind as much as the maids did. If they caught me, I'd be rushed away. It sucked.

When I went down to the kitchen, there was a face I hadn't recognized. I continued to sit in my regular spot, wary of the new kitchen aide. When he turned around, he gasped very loudly, and bowed instantaneously.

"Princess!" He greeted towards the floor, and rose. "I didn't know you'd be joining us tonight." I could see his nervousness, he definitely was new to the kitchen.

I giggled at his reaction. "I usually do. Late nights are kinda my time to enjoy my life for once, instead of my mother pounding properness into my skull. It's a lot, so I come down here."

"I see." He still seemed nervous. "Can I ask you something?"

I leaned in, a smile of curiosity set upon my face. "Go ahead."

"What's it like? To be royalty, I mean."

It was an interesting question, one I hadn't thought of before. "Well, I mean, I don't really know anything else, per say." He shuffled around with some knifes and cleaned them, as we talked. "It's like having everything you've ever wanted at your fingertips, or in reach. Whatever strings you have to pull to get it."

Suddenly the lights went out in the kitchen, and my heart began pounding in my chest. "Your Highness we need to get you to safety, now!" The kitchen boy said, setting whatever he was cleaning down. I felt his hand on my arm, pulling me in whatever direction he was going.

I knew what was happening too. Rebels, attacking the castle. Causing an uproar, it happened very often. Getting somewhere safe just came second nature. I knew the castle like the back of my hand, but he continued on pulling me.

There was a little bit of an emergency light leading the way, but it was barely there. "Princess Accia, we need to get you to the royal safe room!" The kitchen aide pronounced quietly.

"No! There's not enough time, I will just go with you. My family will be okay." I insisted. He debated, and gave in. We were then shoved into the nearest safe room, that were hidden all over the castle. Just the two of us.