The Trial of Truth - Chapter 17

I chained in a cell, my wrists and ankles were handcuffed to the wall and I had a gag in my mouth, and I have been this way for about a week. Some random Military Policeman told me I was to have a trial today to decide my fate. 

I heard noises coming down the stairs to my cell. I saw the new commander of the Survey Corps since Commander Erwin died by the hands of Zeke, and they saved Armin instead, turning him into the new Colossal Titan. "Liz." I looked up at Commander Hange, "It's time." 

I nodded as some cadets carried me away and then dragged my up to a stand, putting a pole between my cuffs and ungagging my mouth. 

The judge entered the room, he was different than the last time I was at trial, "Today we gather for the trial of the Titan Queen, Liz." 

The court nodded and the judge proceeded, "We have evidence that the Titan Queen was the reason for titans being created, that she started some sort of virus. Why did she do this?" 

"I did it because Humanity needed to suffer," I growl. 

"SILENCE! I did not ask you prisoner!" The judge silenced me. 

Armin came up and spoke, "We have gathered enough evidence to prove that Liz had a troubled childhood, do to her powers, this resulted in her hatred for Humanity, more specifically, we believe something happened to Liz when she was younger that ultimately caused this hate." 

"And what would that be, Cadet Arlert?"

He cleared his throat, "She grew up alone. She had to learn to fight and defend for herself. Liz lied about her parents abandoning her and Grisha because they never actually knew her parents. Though, with blood sample we took when Liz was our ally, we were able to trace back her ancestry and find out the truth." 

"So, who are her parents?" The judge said eagerly.

"Well, your Honor, we were only able to trace it back to her mother, but her mother was.... her mother was the Goddess Ymir!" 

My eyes widened, "No she wasn't! Shut up! Shut up!" I pleaded Armin.

"And that means, Liz is not just a titan, but a goddess." Armin continued. "Well, at least has it in her bloodline." 

"Hmm, we must take that into careful consideration." The judge thought. "Liz, one question I am curious about is, did you help with the fall of Wall Maria?"

I looked disgusted, "Though I started the virus and killed many people, doesn't mean I don't have my regrets and morals. I thought the titan virus was enough for humanity, but you built your stupid little walls to help you. I did not help with the invasion of Wall Maria, I watched it happen, I stood by and did nothing because... because I wanted humanity to suffer, but I didn't want to be responsible for it." 

"Well, we cannot charge you for a crime you didn't commit, so that is excused. On to other matters, you transformed in the city, causing chaos and mayhem. You started a fight with the Survey Corps and sided with Kenny the Ripper. Explain please."

I chuckled, "Kenny, he's... well, he's an old friend. So, I was just helping him out as he... I can't believe the public wasn't notified. Well, he kidnapped Queen Historia."

"Wait! And the public was not notified by this?" The judge and people gasped. 

"No, of course not. They don't want the people to be frightened. I was just a decoy for them to get Historia. She isn't even full royal blood anyways!" I exclaimed. "Oh yeah, it was a shock to me when I found out too." 

"Liz, due to high treason against the Queen of the Walls, you are sentenced to life in prison since you cannot die." 

Before the soldiers could take me away, the courthouse door slammed out, "No you don't!" 

Kenny appeared with some document, he handed it to the judge, "Oh my deary, you wouldn't want to kill the true Queen of the Walls, would you now?" 

Kenny laughed and my eyes widened, "Kenny! What are you talking about?"

The judge put on his classes and examined the paper, "It tis' true. He speaks the truth. This document is the real thing. The Titan Queen, Liz Jaeger, is indeed the true heir to the throne with full royal blood. I hereby release her, giving her full freedom!"

Then the doors opened again and Historia ran through the door, I turned around and then looked at Kenny, "You didn't harm her..."

"I would never disobey you Liz. Well, shall we dance again?" Kenny grinned as he held out his hand. 

"Hmm, I wonder," I grabbed his hand, and he held onto my waist, "You know, you won't be able to stay here for long since you are a wanted man." 

We continued to dance until he stopped, "Oh, I know. But, someday, you'll see me again." 

"Oh I know I haven't seen the last of you Kenny!" We let go and he walked away, waving as he vanished out the door. 

Many people had left except five people, who just stood and stared at me as I stared back. Hange, Historia, Armin, Eren, and Levi, "Well, looks like I am free."

Hange spoke up, "Liz..."

"I didn't know I was, Hange. I didn't know until now either." I started exiting the room, "The coronation is tomorrow. I know I put you all through hell, but... but I ask that you guys all come, it would mean the world to me, since I now have to protect the humans I hate." I chuckled and exited the courthouse, getting into a carriage and making my way to the castle.