Chapter 1: Dragon Racing

Astrid's POV

Today it is Sunday, the day that Hiccup made in to the weekly 'Vikings are free' day. It is also the day on which the dragon races are held, and I try to win from Hiccup and Toothless.

I have never succeeded.

I leaned over in my saddle and whisper in Stormfly's ear: "This time we're going to win Stormfly. I feel it." She gave me a shake of her head, and continued to shift her weight from one leg to another, a thing she does before every race.

I leaned back into the saddle and look around me. This time, we were stationed near the western side of the island. Not the best spot to start, but not the worst by far, especially since the wind is coming from the west. To signal the start of the race, Gobber will blow the horn, and we will all race back to the village, where we will collect our first sheep.

I've missed this feeling, to sit in the saddle waiting for the horn to come, thinking of the best ways to try and win, but mostly, just enjoy the quiet before the storm.

It is so weird that when unexpected things happen, you seem to forget all the small things, and then as you relive them, realise that you've missed them. That is what it feels like right now. It has been a month since the attacks, and Hiccup has decided that today would be a good day to start with the dragon races again.

I was so in trance that I didn't notice the low bass of the horn sounding through the forest. I gripped the reigns tightly when Stormfly set herself into motion.

"Good girl. I didn't even notice." I lean over the saddles, my stomach touching her back, to make us go as fast as possible. And boy, did we go fast.

We raced towards the village, and to my surprise didn't see anyone there yet. But it didn't take long before I heard the familiar sound that has put so much fear in the hearts Vikings.

I saw the first sheep being launched into the air, and nudged Stormfly towards it. But before I was even close, a black blur passed by us and grabbed the sheep right in front of our noses. I cursed under my breath.

"That is not very lady like, m'lady." A voice said at my side. I looked over, and saw Toothless with the sheep in his claws and Hiccup with a wicked grin, riding on top.

"Hiccup," I yelled, "why do you always have to get the ones that I want?" If he didn't soon make that infuriating grin disappear soon, I'm going to smack it of myself.

"I can't help it. The look on your face is just too cute." And the grin became even more insufferable.

I huffed, and out of the corner of my eyes, saw the next sheep being launched. I turned Stormfly around, and fly at top speed. This time I will have him. This time..

"Hiccup!" I yelled, but I was only greeted by a laugh that was carried back to me by the lone wind.

-------------------------

We were almost done with the game. Hiccup grabbed the first few sheep that I tried to catch right before my nose, so I had a tough game, as always.

Hiccup was in first position, as always, and I was second, as always. Then I went back to my strategy of grabbing the sheep of the others, but they expected it, so they made preparation for it, although obviously nothing is fool proof.

Then I heard the horn again. "Come on, Stormfly, the black sheep. We can still win this thing!"

I looked around. No Haddock to be seen. What is going on....?

The thought was pushed away as I raced towards the black sheep, my concentration fully focused on it.

"Yes!" I exclaimed, as I held the sheep in my arms. But my victory was of short notice. Before I realized what was happening, the sheep was pulled from my arms.

"What.....? Haddock!" But again, no answer came. In the blink of an eye, Hiccup was at the baskets and thrown the sheep in it.

"And Hiccup wins the game!" Gobber's voice said through the horn.

"What a surprise." I said, as I rolled my eyes heavenward.