Chapter Four: Maybe A Little Popular

I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror. It looked nothing like me.

Heather's shirt was flown and loose, slightly too large and Macnamara has tied a knot at my bellybutton, showing a small sliver of skin on my stomach. The leggings were thick, matte silver, and clung to my hips like glue. They didn't match my shoes at all but that wasn't a big problem in my opinion. They'd given me some makeup to cover some of the acne on my forehead and nose.

Heather Duke had brushed out my hair, removing some of the frizziness, and was French braiding it.

Chandler pursed her lips. "Not awful. Come on."

Every nerve in my body was on edge as I walked into study hall with the Heathers. Chandler was in front, as always, followed by Macnamara and then Duke and I. A few people looked up when we entered and when I came in behind them I could hear whispers starting up.

I swallowed the know in my throat, trying to look brave. I have to act like a Heather if I want to be a Heather, right? I can't let fear show or they'll turn on me like wolves.

Betty Finn was in our customary corner; we'd had the same study hall since sophomore year and every year we stayed in the same corner. I turned to go that way like I was used to, but the Heathers turned a different direction.

"Heather?" I asked, "Could my friend Betty sit with us?"

Heather Chandler looked over her shoulder at me. "Veronica, if you want to be like the eagles, you don't study with the butterfly. Come on."

I quickly mouthed an apologetic sorry at Betty before following the Heathers to their table in the study hall.

I could hear some of the whispers around us and I tried to tune them out, but I couldn't.

Who is that?

Why are the Heathers talking to her?

Isn't that Veronica?

Who?

That's definitely Veronica.

She looks hot.

I tried instead to focus on the conversation that the Heathers were having.

"Heather, I'm sorry, I'm busy that night," Duke was saying.

Chandler was obviously frustrated by this. "Either you come or you miss out. What about you, Heather?" She asked, turning to Macnamara.

"I'll be there." She smiled, her teeth blindingly white. "And I have a date."

"Who would date you?" Duke joked, rolling her eyes.

"It's a surprise." She smirked before turning to me and asking, "what about you, Veronica? Will you be able to go to the party on Saturday?"

I'd heard about the party, but I hadn't really been invited. Now I had the chance to go with the Heathers.

"Of course I'm going," I smiled.

Chandler looked at me and gave a cocky smile. "You've never been to a college party before, have you?"

"No," I answered truthfully.

"We're helping you with your outfit," she said. A command. And when Heather Chandler tells you to do something, you do it. "Come to my house after school Friday."

"'Kay, Heather."

This wasn't so bad. I was kind of popular now. This was what I wanted.

Sometimes you pray, and prayers get answered.