Chapter Seven: Fight Or Flight

I headed back to the Heathers' table with my food when I saw Martha "Dumptruck" Dunnstock heading to the football team's table. Shit. She had the fake note in her hand and a huge, hopeful smile on her face.

I stood, frozen as she started speaking to Ram. I was on the other side of the cafeteria and couldn't make out what was being said, but I knew it was bad. Then she unfolded the note to show to him. Laughing.

Martha dropped the note and ran out of the lunchroom. I could see Heather Chandler snicker.

With a sigh I headed to sit with my "friends." They were just talking about makeup or some shit.

I mainly just focused on my food. Just waiting for the hour to end. But it soon became clear that something was happening across the cafeteria.

"Hey, what's going on?" Macnamara asked, standing to get a better view.

I could hear a few kids chanting fight, fight, fight from where the crowd was gathering. The Heathers and I walked over to see what was happening.

Mystery Kid was backed against the wall, staring down Kurt Kelly. The football player swung at his head and he ducked, kicking Kurt's legs out from under him.

"Fight! Fight! Fight!"

Ram ran into the fray, tackling Mystery Kid, Who elbowed him in the nose. Ram's head went backwards and Mystery Kid took the opportunity to get to his feet to punch Kurt in the throat. Then, tripping slightly on the cuffs of his jeans that were obviously too large, he took of running, shoving through the crowd.

I smiled as I saw Kurt and Ram trying to chase him, but by the time they cleared the rest of the students, he was gone.

"Wow, Veronica," Heather mumbled, rolling her eyes. She delicately filed her nails with a red, glittery file. "Drool much? You were all over the new kid."

"I was not!"

Macnamara laughed. "You really were, though. You like the bad boy, huh?"

I could feel my face heat up. We were at the Heathers' regular table in study hall. I tried to avoid making eye contact with Betty. It had been two days and I still hadn't really spoken to her.

"I've barely even talking to him," I said, rolling my eyes. "I don't even know his name. And I doubt he'd like me."

"Jason Dean," Heather said, flipping her curls over her shoulder. "Just moved here. No one knows much about him."

Duke spoke up. "Well we know he got detention for that stunt in the cafeteria."

"Whatever," Chandler said, sitting up straight and dropping the file. "The party. What were you planning on wearing, Veronica?"

"Oh, uh," I swallowed. "Probably that dress you guys got me? And the shoes. Probably some concealer for, y'know, this," I said, gesturing to the pimples on my forehead. "Maybe some eyeliner."

"You're wearing that to a college party?" Chandler asked. She huffed as if it was a stupid idea, even though I knew she was probably dressing in a similar fashion. She just liked picking on me.

"Well, yeah..."

"It's fine," Macnamara assured me, rolling her eyes at Heather. "We were bringing snacks, right?"

Chandler nodded. "Yeah, we'll just stop at a Seven Eleven or something before the party. I'll pick you guys up."

"I wish I could go," Duke sighed. "Stupid family dinners."