Chapter Twenty-Four: I Stop A Murderer

I heard him walk to the window and slam it shut. After waiting a few moments to make sure he was gone, I pulled the noose off of my neck, dropping lightly to the floor. I rubbed the spot where the rope had rubbed against my neck.

I pulled out my phone to check the time. 6:24.

The pep rally.

I was still in my clothes from yesterday; I must've fallen asleep with them on. Honestly I didn't give a fuck. Heather wouldn't like it? Fuck her. I threw on my shoes and ran down the stairs.

"Veronica, do you want breakfast?" I heard Mom call as I ran by.

"No, Betty and I are going out!" I lied. "Bye, love you!"

On my way out I went to grab a "jacket" from the coat closet. Actually I was going for my dad's old baseball bat. Maybe it wouldn't be as effective as a gun but I didn't have one and couldn't get one on short notice. Not enough time.

Instead of walking like I usually do, I grabbed my bike. So I don't have a drivers license. Sue me.

My legs burned as I pedaled as fast as I could. I had to get there before JD could hurt anyone.

I ran into the building, bat in hand.

Ms. Fleming stopped me in the hallway. "Veronica? Jason Dean told me you just committed suicide."

"He's wrong about a lot of stuff, uh, did you see where he went?"

"Yeah, towards the gym,"she said. "What's going on?"

"What's under the gym, Ms. Fleming?"

"The boiler room—"

I took off running before she finished. That's probably where he was going. Our burning bodies. He was planning to burn the fucking place to the ground and I wasn't going to let him.

I ran into the boiler room. I could hear the screams of the cheerleaders from the gym above. The roar of the crowd at the pep rally.

I saw JD standing next to a furnace, connecting wires strapped to a large device. There was a countdown.

"Step away from the bomb," I said, holding my bat over my shoulder.

He turned to me. "And I thought you'd lost your taste for faking suicides. I should've known that loose was too noose— fuck, noose was too loose."

"Step away from the bomb," I repeated.

He laughed. "This? This isn't a bomb. This is to set off the thermals upstairs. Now those are bombs."

I glared at him. "I wish you could see how everything you're doing is completely psychotic and sociopathic. I wish you could see how you're completely crazy!"

"Get out of here, Veronica," He said, looking straight at me. "I don't want you in here when this whole school blows. I don't want to hurt you."

"You've already hurt me by ruining my fucking life, JD!" I screamed. "Turn it off!"

He pulled a gun out of his pocket. "Don't make me use this, I swear to God I won't ever forgive myself but I will if I have to."

I stepped closer. "Get some fucking help," I said.

He held the gun out and swallowed. "Don't. Move."

I swung the bat at the same moment he fired. I duck and the gun flew out of his hand. I kicked it away.

He gasped and pinned me to the ground. I kneed him in the balls and shoved him off.

I scooped the gun off the floor before he could get back up. "How do I turn it off?"

"Try the red button," he said sarcastically.

It's worth a try. I stepped closer to the bomb. "Fuck you," I snarled. All three buttons were red.

"Well fuck you too!" He screamed, flipping me off. "Everything I did was for you!"

I fired the gun, completely ripping off the middle finger of his left hand. He let out a shriek, clutching his hand to his chest as the blood stained his hoodie.

"How do I disarm it!" I screamed. Twenty seconds on the clock.

He staggered to his feet and tried to punch me with his good hand. I pulled the trigger again, hitting him in the stomach.

"Fuck, Veronica!" He screamed, hitting the floor, trying to stop the blood. "Middle... button. Stops the countdown," he gasped.

I pressed the middle button, praying to whoever was out there that he was telling the truth.

Ten.

Ten. The clock stoped at ten seconds.

It hadn't gone off.