Chapter Fourteen: I Do a Favor

Heather Macnamara looked into Heather Chandler's locker; it had been almost a week and now I guess it was time to go through her stuff.

Duke was stuffing her face with chicken wings and basically ignoring me and Mac.

"Woah, Heather," Mac laughed, "Slow down. You might actually be digesting food there."

She chucked one of the bones from her wings over her shoulder. "Fuck it."

Chandler's locker had pictures covering the door, a mini chandelier at the top, and a red folding shelf for extra storage. A mirror trimmed in pink was at the back. Extra hair ribbons and scrunchie were there, too.

Duke walked over and picked up one of the scrunchies and silently began pulling her hair back.

"That's Heather's scrunchie," I half laughed, crossing my arms.

She sighed. "Not anymore. She's gone, so I guess I'll have to replace her."

I could almost hear Heather's voice in my ear. That's my stuff. Tell her to get her hands off of my stuff. I can't believe you let this happen. It's all your fault and that stupid boy toy of yours. Could you be any more stupid, Veronica?

"Shut up, Heather!" I shrieked, covering my ears. My heart skipped a few beats.

Duke looked at me, her ginger hair now pulled into a neat ponytail. "No, I don't have to shut up anymore."

I buried my face in my arms. Trying to steady my breathing. This had been the hardest week of my life.

"Veronica?"

I looked up. Betty straightened her glasses and instantly my face brightened.

"Hey!" I said, standing. I'd sat alone today at lunch; I told the Heather's and JD that I needed some space. "I'm sorry I haven't talked to you much... how are you?"

"It's fine, you're a Heather now," she shrugged. "I'm good, I guess. You?"

"Things have been kinda rough but... I don't know." I punched her lightly in the shoulder, "it's good to talk to you."

She laughed. "Wanna hang later? Play Legend of Zelda? Y'know, like we used to?"

"That sounds great," I said with a grin.

Heather Mac ran up beside me. "Veronica, could you do me a favor?"

Betty smiled sadly. "Go ahead, is Saturday good?"

I nodded as Heather pulled me aside. "What do you want, Heather?"

"I have a date with Ram and he wants to bring Kurt but Kurt doesn't have a date so I was hoping you would-"

"I have a boyfriend, Heather," I reminded her.

She gave an exasperated sigh. "It isn't like I'm asking you to sleep with him. It's one date."

"One date?"

"One date."

I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Fine, Heather, but you owe me."

She smiled. "Thanks, Veronica!" She laughed before heading back to her table.