Chapter Seventeen: Payback

No one would make eye contact with me during any of my classes. I sat in the back of the room, trying to avoid getting called on. When lunch period rolled around, I braved myself for the shitstorm I was in for.

JD: Veronica why the fuck is everyone telling me you were cheating on me
JD: I know you wouldn't do that
JD: what happened?
Veronica Sawyer: heather went out with Ram and asked me to come along and Kurt thought it was a date. He was drunk and nothing happened but apparently the asshole decided to lie about it
JD: fuck

I looked up from my phone as I walked into the cafeteria to look for JD. I found him in his usual corner and I headed over to him.

He grinned when he saw me, shoving his phone in his pocket. "And I assume everyone's been giving you hell, right?" He said, an arm around my shoulder.

I leaned into him and sighed, "Yeah but it doesn't matter. I just wish I could make Kurt and Ram sorry for spreading that stupid rumor."

JD was silent for a moment. "I got an idea," he said, looking at me. "You up for a prank? A little revenge?"

I looked up. "What kinda revenge?"

"Can you do a note, like the one we did for Heather? Make it really embarrassing. I'll bring some stuff to your house later, okay?"

"The note... you aren't planning to...?" I asked, narrowing my eyes. "'Cause I'm not doing that again, JD."

He laughed and started playing with my hair. "Nah, I have something else in mind. It's just a joke, babe, we aren't gonna hurt 'em. Even though they deserve it for what they did to you."

I sighed. "Honestly I have no idea what I'm supposed to think of you anymore."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, it's just that we've only been together a little over a week but you just act... I swear, you're so bipolar. After Heather, but now I can't think of anyone more perfect," I took a deep breath, inhaling his scent. Cigarette smoke and gasoline. Warmth. He always smelled like a calm summer night near a bonfire, so peaceful and dark and mysterious and perfect. "I'm just glad you're here."

I sat on my bed, rereading the forged note in Kurt's handwriting.

I heard a tapping on my window and I looked up to see JD perched on the tree limb outside. I opened the latch and he climbed in with a plastic Walmart bag.

"Do you have the note?" He asked, setting the bag down on my bed.

I nodded. "'Ram and I can't take it anymore, pretending to be who we are not. So that's why we decided to free ourselves from this disapproving and hateful world. To some this choice seems extreme, but for us it is the only way. Of course some of you will be going "but Kurt, why kill yourselves over a few people's opinions?" It's because those opinions matter to us. We cannot live in a world where there will be people unaccepting of us. So that is why we died, to hide our love. Goodbye. Kurt & Ram.'" I looked up when I'd finished reading it out loud. "How was that?"

JD grinned, his hair falling into his face. "Perfect. Check out what I got." He quickly pulled two pairs of gloves out of the bag and put on one pair. Then he pulled out a gun.

"Woah," I gasped, "is that real?"

He nodded, fiddling with he trigger. "Yeah but- you speak German?"

"No, but I speak French."

He rolled his eyes. "These are iche lüge bullets. Tranquilizers. They break the skin, a little blood, but it's superficial. No harm done."

"So..." I thought about it for a moment. "So we're gonna knock out Kurt and Ram, plant the note, and then everyone will think they killed themselves, but it's just a prank to make fun of them?"

"Exactly," he grinned, "we need to get them to go to the woods behind the school. Tonight. And I got you a scarf to go with the gloves, it's gonna be cold," he added, leaning over and kissing me on the cheek.

I giggled. "Dork." I pulled out my phone and started scrolling before realizing I didn't have Kurt's number. Shit. Instead I tapped Macnamara; she'd have it, probably.

Veronica Sawyer: do you have Kurt Kelly's number?

I had to wait several minutes for a response.

H. Mac: yeah

She sent me the number and I quickly typed it in.

"Hello?" I heard Kurt on the other end of the line.

"Hey Kurt... I was wondering if you and Ram were, uh, wanting to make those rumors come true, if y'know what I mean? I'd be so happy if you could meet me in the woods behind the school. At dawn."

"Um, okay," he quickly responded.

I hung up.