Closer than Ever

I trudged down the stairs to Sams request. He barely noticed me over the loud tv and his beer.

"Do the dishes." He belched out. I simply nodded and walked over the mess in the kitchen. I carefully began picking up glasses and plates and scrubbing them. Tears ran down my face as I stared at the ground. I finished up cleaning the kitchen and crept by Sam. He was passed out. I closed my eyes and sighed deeply knowing I would probably be stuck here for the rest of my life. 

I ran quietly up the stairs. When I entered my room, I felt an immediate chill. I closed the door cautiously looking around. A voice came from behind me and quickly, I swirled around to investigate it. James sat on my bed smirking. I backed up as the last time I saw him was when he knocked me cold.

"Hey." He said in a low tone.

"Always a pleasure James, you coming out of nowhere and scaring the hell out of me." I said easing down a little.

"You let Milo do it." He Laid down putting his arms behind his head. I stepped a bit close trying to figure him out.

"What's your deal? What were you like before all this." I questioned.

"Like what?"

"Dead." I replied shortly. He stared at me and I felt it in my soul.

"Angry." He swallowed.

"Why is that?" I questioned.

"Are you my shrink now or some shit." He laughed but I just stared and his smirk went away.

"I was sort of, well you know, the outcast. Everywhere I went." He said with a straight face. I gave a sympathetic smile and sat down next to James on the bed. He continued, "school, at my own house." I nodded because I knew what that felt like.

"I get it. But that can't be right, you know everywhere you went, girls must've fell at your feet." I smiled.

"You're smarter than I thought." He said and we both laughed. I looked in his eyes. A beautiful brown color. I had never noticed how pretty James' blonde curls were, semi similar to my hair. I coughed releasing the awkward tension.

"I have a question," I spoke up.

"Shoot." He said. I was about to ask what happened in the basement, but for my sake, I decided to save that question for another time.

"Why were you talking to Hayley, you know that one day I saw you?"

"I was just asking her some." He paused, "questions."

"Like?" I asked the blonde boy.

"I can't explain that to you." He shines his pearly whites. I sighed.

"Maybe another day, Doll." He placed a hand on my knee. I quickly stood up coughing. He chuckled. James headed for the door waving as he disappeared. I groaned and fell back on my bed placing both of my hands over my face. I heard a voice that made my stomach flutter. Milo.

"Olivia." He said my name. I quickly stood up and peered at him from the other side of the room.

"Hey Milo." I swallowed.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" He looked around worriedly. I only nodded. He motioned to follow him, so that's what I did. We walked passed Sam still drunkly passed out on the couch. I followed Milo down the cellar doors.

Once I felt the chilling air hit my arms I knew it was just us. I looked him in the eyes. His gaze landed on me and it felt as if we were the only two people in the entire world. I shook the feeling. Looking at Milo, then entire world felt right. We stood staring at each for what felt like years. I broke the tension with a cough.

"So you wanted to talk?" I questioned.

"Yeah." He swallowed quickly redirecting his focus. "How about we sit." He said again. I looked at the cold pavement in the cellar and pointed to the old stairs instead. Milo nodded.

We took a seat by each other and and he closed his eyes for a little then opened them and began speaking,

"Listen Olivia, tonight we are um, gonna watch my tape." I raised my eyebrows. So he does have a tape. I turned my head.

"So you are one of them." I blurted out. He looked at me almost shocked.

"Yeah, I guess." He said. "Anyways, after you watch it, I really don't want you to, you know."

He paused.

"What?" I asked.

He stared at the floor, "think of me any differently." I joined him eyeing the floor to avoid the tension. I looked back him.

"Don't worry Milo," he looked at me, "I don't anything in this world could make me think less of you." I smiled. He gave me an unsure look and then grinned.

"Thanks for understandings." He said, hugging me.

"Of course." I looked at him with my blue orbs. We stared at each other for a little. I broke the stare when I got up and walked up the stairs.

"Olivia." He called after me. I looked back.

"I uh." He stared.

"You what." I smiled.

"Nothing, I'll see you tonight." He flashed a smiled. I nodded and walked up the stairs. My mind raced. I knew I didn't show it to Milo, but I had never been more nervous.