Flames

I went into my room. My face was red and my eyes swelled with tears. Did Milo mean it? Did he not want to see me anymore? I checked the clock and sat softly on my bed.

By this time it was around 9:00 pm. I stared out the window and at the stars. I was used to the other homes crammed next to each other back in Seattle. I remember not seeing stars shine brightly in the sky. Out here though, in this vast empty space, the stars shone so brightly my eyes burned.

I laid down and thought about him. The boy that wouldn't leave my mind not matter how hard I tried. Milo. A few minutes later I was fast asleep. That night I had another dream about my uncle.

"Happy birthday, livvy." He told me. But of course it was cut short when the sun hit my eyes. I gazed at the ceiling as my eyes slowly opened. Great, another terrible birthday. I rolled over to see the clock and saw the time, 8:44 am. I got up and outreached my arms towards the ceiling. I sighed.

"Another birthday." I rolled my eyes as I opened my bedroom door slowly making sure not to be to loud. I rolled up my sleeve to look at one of the bruises Sam had caused. My eyes swelled but I shook it off as I walked down the stairs. When my feet hit the middle floor and heard shuffling in the living room. I slowly tiptoed over trying my best to stay as low key as possible. Suddenly a creak sounded out beneath my feet. I closed my eyes, this god damn house. Sam walked over.

"There's a mess in the living room, get it cleaned up." He said pushing past me.

"But it's my birthday.." I said quietly. He stopped.

"And why should I give a shit." He rolled his eyes and trudged up the steps. I shook my head and rolled my eyes walking into the living room. The tv played some shitty old western film. Beer bottles scattered the coffee table and floor. Used Cigarettes in the ash tray. Naturally. The room smelt of smoke. I began picking up everything and throwing it in a trash bin.

When the living area was all picked up, I switched off the television and stood there for a minute. This gave me a chance to think about what happened last night. What Milo had said. Tears pricked my eyes. I breathed out heavily trying to somehow get all of the sadness that consumed me out. I did this a lot. It never works.

I wiped a tear and walked out of the room to the kitchen. There sat my mother with a small cupcake and a single candle in it. I stared at her and she stared back.

"What's this?" I asked quietly.

"Happy birthday." She said with a weak smile trying her best to look happy, I didn't buy it.

"Thanks." I kept a straight face.

"Come blow out the candle." She looked down at the small dessert. I walked over quickly giving a sharp blow. The flame disappeared into the air like magic. I looked back up at my mother, our eyes meeting.

"Are you gonna eat it?" She made a small attempt to relieve this tense moment.

"Oh so I'm actually aloud to eat for once?" I said sarcastically. She dropped her shoulders staring at the table.

"You know what would be a great gift." I spoke, she looked up quickly, "a more caring mother." Her face dropped. I turned around and walked out of the front door closing it gently. When I stepped out the fresh air tickled my arms. I started towards the old church deciding it's the best place to get away for a while. I walked in and the darkness fell all around me. The smell of old candles filled my nose reminding me that today was my own birthday.

I went and sat on one of the dusty old benches that was used for services back when it was still a church. I looked around the dark room. Suddenly, I felt overwhelmed with sadness. Tears began to stream down my face as a put my head on my knees. All I could think about was my uncle. I cried for some time before I heard a creak in the corner. My head shot up and I peered into the corner trying to make out what was responsible for the sound.

Finally something stepped out and towards me. It was Milo. I rolled my eyes and began walking in the other direct near the church doors when he spoke up.

"Olivia wait." I stopped looking back at the pale boy.

"What?" I questioned with a harsh tone.

"Listen I'm sorry. What I said yesterday, it was dumb and I didn't mean it." He said with remorse. I looked him up and down and scoffed. I turned around again when this time he grabbed my arm.

"Okay, I get it. You don't have to forgive me right now, just let me give you something." I looked at him confused. He pulled an old fashioned lighter out of his pocket. Milo held the gift out to me. I took it.

"I heard it was your birthday and I got you something. See, a lighter was the only thing I took with me and now we both have one." He gave me a cheesy smile. I looked at him and then at the lighter. It was kind of dirty but beautiful. I returned my gaze back to Milo, giving him a hug.

"Thank you Milo." I said trying to hold back my emotions.

"No problem, Liv. Happy birthday."

———————————————————————————
A/N: I'm sorry it has taken me a little while to upload. I will try to be quicker next time hehe. Anyways enjoy this chapter!