Cinderella Part 3

The kitchen was busier than usual that day, the fireplace causing the room to heat to an unbearable temperature as you began to prep for the dessert that evening. The group of breakfast duty was significantly smaller than usual, although it was a simple task to bake the fresh bread and place the cold meat cuts from the previous meal on a plate.

However, Jin, the Head Chef, managed to complain at every stage, "I'm the head chef of a royal kitchen, you'd think I would be above such menial tasks." You looked up from your bowl and laughed as the broad-shouldered man continued to grumble whilst pulling out a golden brown loaf of bread from the oven.

He was undeniably the most talented chef you had ever met and having been practically raised by Jin, you were used to his antics that now only amused you. The family were said to be going on a hunt so the kitchen could have time to prepare for the dinner service which was meant to be celebrating Hoseok's engagement to a neighbouring princess.

"Is this the eighth engagement celebration we've had to prepare for?" Jimin groaned, before looking to find you smiling happily at the bowl of batter in your arms. It was one of the few times that all thoughts faded from your mind as you added the ingredients into the bowl and began the lengthy process of making Hoseok's favourite pudding.

The kitchen stayed relatively quiet that day until around lunch when knights and their apprentices filed in to grab their bread, meat and fruit. Although Jeongguk paused, arms full of food as he nodded in your direction and smirked, "shouldn't a girl take more care in her appearance?"

You rolled your eyes at his usual teasing, returning to serving the knights when someone grabbed your wrist and you looked up to find those bright eyes staring at you, "I think pretty girls don't need to worry about such thing." Hoseok grinned at you watching as you struggled out of his grip before releasing your hand causing you to stumble backwards with an undignified grunt.

"Watch boys this is how Hoseok became known as the heart-breaker Prince," Jeongguk laughed and you rolled your eyes, deciding today it might be better to hold your tongue than getting involved with the boys and their childish squabbles.

Jin placed a hand on your shoulder and lightly pushed you behind him, taking over at the table, before narrowing his eyes at Jeongguk, "you're acting like you don't have a mini orgasm whenever you eat her bakes." The younger boy spluttered, his face sporting a vivid blush before he ran out of the kitchen, clutching his lunch to his chest.

Hoseok caught you laughing and raised an eyebrow to which you rolled your eyes and returned to baking, grumbling, "you're unbelievable." The prince sensing that you were occupied, gave you one last hopeful smile before walking away and he was just leaving the door when you called, "good luck with your tenth engagement party!"

He whipped around and grinned, "it's only my ninth!" With a sigh to try and hide your amusement at how right your mother had been, there were no perfect prince charmings who rescued damsels and married a princess. Hoseok had been set up to marry eight other princesses by his parents, organised with fae and human kingdoms but the young prince always refused after he had attended the luxurious dinner.

Suddenly Jin turned to point at Hoseok, "you're meant to be at the hunt!" Hoseok's shoulders raised at the idea he had been caught and as he began to slunk away, the elder boy laughed, "go run back to your horse and get back before they notice!"

With a quick nod, Hoseok winked at you and sprinted off leaving you to smile at the idea that he was still like he was as a child, having disliked hunts and come riding back to the kitchen then as well. Today he had most likely come to the kitchen to check on what food was being made and you wondered if he encouraged the engagements just so he would get to eat Jin's best cooking and an abundance of sweet cakes, pies and a structure created completely out of small fruit tarts.

Following lunch, the kitchen came to life with movement and noise as all the chefs began to cook the meals they had begun yesterday. It was to be a five-course meal, with your fruit tarts being the main piece for dessert which lead to Jin continually checking that you were going to have the one hundred puddings done in time.

"Next engagement party I would have made a thousand fruit tarts and more because it took me a while to perfect the taste," you mused as you helped Jimin peel the vegetables. The potatoes and carrots began to pile up and the movements soon became unconscious as you wondered what this princess looked like.

The Princesses you had the opportunity of seeing had been beautiful, huge gowns leaving you to wonder how they managed to fit in their seats with their hair styled in elegant curls, loops and braids. The servers would often laugh about how little these princesses would eat and you knew that when you came out to serve the tarts, they rarely would eat more than a few pieces of glazed fruit.

For a moment you let your mind wander to what it might be like if you were the one picking at your food, sitting stiffly in your seat and doing it all for a prince known for breaking hearts. This was the exact reason you thought Prince's were elaborate hoaxes to capture the hearts and kingdoms of young maidens, and it worked.

"Y/N?" Jimin's voice jolted you back to the present and with a start you jumped up, carrot half peeled falling on the floor as the younger boy laughed at your reaction. "Now what were you daydreaming about?"

Picking up the carrot and slamming it on the table, "if you share a dream then it won't come true!" It was your usual reply and Jimin smiled, shaking his head at your childish reply before shooing you away to return to finish off your tarts.

"I hope the dreams that you're wishing will come true."