Cinderella Part 4

"Now remember to address Prince Hoseok with the utmost respect," Jin lectured as you held two plates of tarts, golden leaf glimmering in the candlelight outside the dining room and he watched as you peeked around the door, standing at the front of a long line of servers, causing him to whisper-shout, "Y/N!"

Your eyes flicked back to see Jin's frown and you quickly nodded, "I'm serving Hoseok and his fiancee and must treat both of them respectfully." Your elder nodded quickly and opened his mouth as if to say something, but there was the sound of metal tapping against a glass and with a smile, you entered through the doors.

The dining room was beautiful, tapestries hung from the walls in rich colours of greens and reds. Slowly you made your way towards the head of the table where Hoseok was sitting, leaning forward on an elbow and smirking at you, "this is our Head Baker who has prepared one hundred tarts by hand to celebrate the engagement between our prince and your daughter." The King happily announced.

They were proud of having a female baker in the kitchen, bringing you out to present any time they could to embarrass other humans and impress the fae royalty that came to the palace.

Hoseok watched your every move before a gloved hand landed on his elbow, "why, do you even pay that girl?" The princess held a hand to her mouth as she giggled, watching you place the plate in front of her, "her clothes are so- so plain."

You placed the plate in front of Hoseok, refusing to meet his eye before you curtised and walked away. Your hands fisted in your dress, it was your best one, a pale shade of pink that reminded you of the blossom that had grown in the garden of the house you had once lived in.

Now you felt the cheap fabric under your fingers, repeating to yourself that you must remember your place and not say anything out of place. But it was the only dress you owned although having heard what the princess had to say now you were left to wonder if all eight of them before this one had thought the same thing.

Your heart stuttered in embarrassment before the King tapped on the table to get your attention, "such a talented young baker." The visiting royalty agreed as they continued to eat at a rapid pace but as you made eye contact with the Princess, you watched her dainty hands take hold of the plate and push it away.

Hoseok watched this interaction, catching the way your face fell before you bowed to the King. The rest of the servers had already left, and as you followed, placing a hand against the dark oak door to cast one last glance at the gathered royalty, you watched Hoseok slam his hands into the table.

"I don't say I feel like marrying you," Hoseok declared, staring right at you and the Princess who had been sipping on a glass of wine dropped it in surprise. The glass shattered across the floor and you felt a hand on your back shove you forward to tidy the mess that had been created.

The Princess was just beginning to stumble together words as you rushed back in, "y-you can't mean, are you cancelling this engagement?" Quickly you leant down to rest on your knees, taking your time as you picked up the fine pieces of glass away from the Princess' dainty feet.

Above you a clamout had begun akin to what you were used to in the kitchen as Hoseok's father hit the table, shouting, "you're not doing this again!" It was a conversation you had witnessed a few times so you continued to focus on your task.

Just as you picked up the last shard of a glass, a shoe kicked your hand causing you to drop the glittering pieces on the floor and swallow a glare at the princess who had just purposefully kicked you.

A drop of blood welled up from your fingertip and with a frown you scooped up the rest of the glass, biting your lip to not cry out in pain and rising to your feet. This time you accidentally met Hoseok's gaze, before ducking your head in embarrassment at the notion of him seeing you with watering eyes.

Quickly you gave another curtsy and then ran from the room straight into Jin's chest, his arms wrapped around your back and gave you a tight hug. Before he pulled away and grabbed your wrists, pouring the glass into a small bowl a waiter held for him before tugging you away from the shouting still coming from the dining room.

"Come on dearest, don't let her words hurt you," Jin soothed you, his hands rubbed your shoulders before you sniffed and held your head high, palms red with blood and stinging slightly. And yet, a small smile still made its way across your face at the thought of dodging a stuffy bride within the palace.

So you walked back to the kitchen with Jin, a single tear rolled down your cheek before you heaved a sigh and looked up, "just another day in a royal palace."