NINE

Harley Anderson

It's a lot to take in- the fact that I have to race again while Danté is fighting illegally, I'm part of a gang and my life is always at risk of being taken from me due to gang rivalry. I'm no longer living in Oregon and going to college. My brother is basically the partner in crime for a gang leader and thats why he left me- for a gang. It's too much for me to absorb and I feel overwhelmed.

Isaac gave me the keys to a Ferrari to practice in and now that we're at what seems like an abandoned racetrack, I can't help but wonder if this is where I'll meet my untimely demise.

I've missed racing more than anything over the couple of months but I think it was something I was to come to terms with doing on my own and not through the means of being forced by a gang. But I suppose I don't have a say in the matter so I can only hope that I can get my head back in the game. However, Danté has tried to get me behind the wheel for a long time now and not even he could help me when he was the one who taught me everything to begin with which leads me to doubt Isaac's ability to get me to race. Perhaps his methods of encouragement will be more... bloody.

"Whose car is this?" I ask him when I look down at the keys.

"We have a selection for the racers to choose from. The other racers don't really dig Ferraris... they're more Bugatti and Lamborghini types so this one is perfect for you to practice in. Besides," he shrugs a broad shoulder, "you look like the type of girl to like a hot, red Ferrari."

I almost laugh in his face at his assumption of me because it's so wrong. Sure, the car is beautiful and I'd love to cruise in it but my first choice will always be American Muscles. Mustangs to be more specific.

"Now let's get down to it. You need to be racing by next week." Isaac explains, tapping the top of the car. My eyes widen.

"Next week?"

Only a week to get my shit together is not nearly long enough.

Isaac eyes me warily. "If you're not bringing anything to the table for the gang, you're just a liability. And Jack does nothing but eliminate those. So yes, you need to get your head in the game and race because the longer you do nothing, the more you put yourself at risk. And me. Because I pay a price for your lack of cooperation in the gang as well."

I don't know what to say to that so I simply press my lips into a firm line and climb into the car. The interior is black and seems almost brand new if it was not for the slight scent of smoke  that lingered in the air.

"You should tell your racers to quit smoking in the car." I quip and Isaac sends me a warning glare. He can't be much older than me- maybe by two or three years- and yet he still seems so much older, mature. Growing up in this kind of life makes you ripen faster, I suppose.

I put the key in the ignition and the car rumbles to life and the sound is almost comforting to my ears.

"Race." Isaac says and I let out a shaky breath, my hands gripping the steering wheel tightly.

"Do you know why I can't?" I ask him and he glances me in a bored tone. "Because I crashed into a tree the last time I ever did. Put myself in a coma for nearly two weeks and broke my arm. Do you know how terrifying it is to do something that almost cost me my life the first time?"

I'm not trying to be open and honest with him and I'm definitely not trying to be vulnerable but I need him to be aware that I'm petrified of this and I have every reason to be. I just hope that telling him will make him go easier on me.

"My father died from racing, Harley. I know exactly what it means to be terrified from it. But you don't have much of a choice at this point so push all that fear aside and step on it." Isaac responds, voice flat and I sigh before doing as he says.