TWENTY-EIGHT

This is a double update as per usual- Chapter 27 was uploaded before this so please make sure you read them in the correct order :)

Cameron Dawson

Katalina's car is filled with silence, none of us talking although the unspoken words hang in the air. Katalina takes us into the Kings territory- deep into it- and none of it is familiar to me and it's hard to make sense of our surroundings with it being dark. The Mexican girl drives comfortably, it clear that she knows these roads like the back of her hand. 

Harley sits in the backseat in a bubble of her own, bouncing her leg up and down nervously. Despite her been the one to approach Katalina and tell her that she wanted to move gangs, the unsure look on her face lets me know that she isn't one hundred percent sure of her decision. After Harley had told me how she felt about the situation in the parking lot of the bank, she had immediately approached Katalina back at the gang and I had supported her wholeheartedly, deciding that the brutalities of the Slither gang are a sign that they are the more evil of the two.

It seems that Katalina was surprised and yet relieved that we had made this decision. She had then agreed to pick us up from the apartment tonight and take us to the meet Enrique Hernández- the leader of the Kings. That alone scares me because I'm not too sure what to expect. And yet hope sticks to me anyway that this is the best decision to make.

"Are you two sure about this?" Katalina's voice brings me away from my thoughts and I glance at her to see her eyes already on me, watching in concern. "Because if you aren't, I'll take you back before you've seen too much."

I glance at Harley over my shoulder to see her nodding and I let out a breath.

"We're sure." I respond, gripping the car handle harder. Katalina purses her lips, drumming the steering wheel with her manicured fingers.

"Once we get there, you're in. You know that right? You can't change your mind." Her voice is terse, almost like she doesn't want to give us any more opportunities to back down.

"Why are you making it sound like you feel the need to remind us? Do you not want us to join?" I say and Katalina rolls her eyes, leaning back in her seat before briefly glancing at me.

"It's not about me not wanting you guys to join Cameron." She shakes her head. "It's about me wanting to make sure that you're sure about your decision. I see the way you guys are with Jack's gang. I guess I just don't want you guys to view being part of the Kings as a chore."

My heart aches a little and I'm not too sure why. Maybe it's because even though Katalina doesn't want us to resent the gang the same way we resent the Slither gang, a part of us probably always will because even though we're not getting forced into the Kings, we've still being forced into this lifestyle. And that alone will always make it a chore, even if it will just be one less dreaded because of the Kings.

"Well that's not for you to worry about. Either way we're stuck here." Is my response as I shrug before looking out of the window. "We just have to choose whose side we're on for that time."

Silence ensues, nobody having anything to say and I appreciate it because my mind is fogged with thoughts and my stomach is churning with doubt which only feels worse when I'm forced to try and formulate a response.

We drive for another fifteen minutes before Katalina is pulling up onto a pebbled driveway before stopping in front of a large, black gate with two guards on either side of it on both the inside and outside. However, the house behind it distracts me from paying attention to whatever it is that Katalina says to them to open the gate.