FORTY

Cameron Dawson

"So let me get this straight... if we manage to tear down Jack and his gang, we would be tearing down a three billion dollar syndicate?" I ask from where I'm hunched over in the bonnet of the car.

"When we take down the gang," Katalina corrects me, "yes."

I look up at her over the hood to see her still sucking on a lollipop while she sits cross-legged on the roof of the car.

"Well," she goes on and I wipe my hands that are covered in filth from the car on a cloth before I grab a wrench, "that's how much it's estimated at according to Vivienne. Could be a little less or a little more but not too far off."

"Vivienne?" I grunt as I pull at the gear box.

"Enrique's accountant."

"Oh."

"It would do Concord a lot of good to get rid of that gang." She grumbles and I stand up straight, wiping a bead of sweat off of my forehead.

"Who was here first? The Slithers or the Kings?"

Katalina pauses from placing the red lollipop back in her mouth as she ponders over my question.

"The Slithers. But the man before Jack was very different. Or so I've heard. He was more diplomatic than anything and after Jack was made his right hand man, he tried to get Gus- the leader- to be less persuasive and more demanding. Gus died in a car accident but we all think that Jack had a role to play in it because directly after, he took the throne, got new members and turned the gang into a bloodthirsty group of criminals instead of a well thought out empire."

"It can't be that badly thought out if it's a three billion dollar worth gang though." I counter and Katalina points the glistening sweet at me.

"That's a good point. But still. I think Jack has been lucky more than anything. His members are radicle and radicle members make good killers. Any threat or problem is dealt with like that. Jack wouldn't know what diplomacy was even if someone wrote the definition on a rock and threw it at him."

"Have you ever considered... maybe forming a partnership with Jack and then getting rid of him?"

Katalina rolls her eyes. "A partnership with that snake? Hell no. His members wouldn't cooperate even if we did become partners. Jack has selected his members well- especially his top dogs."

With that being said, I'm reminded of what I've been needing to ask Katalina but haven't had a chance to get to, so I wipe my hands once more before crossing them over my chest and leaning against the wall.

"At the last meeting with Enrique, he told Bruno to take out any top dogs he can get his hands on," I begin, "is Cyrus included?"

Katalina frowns, eyes narrowed slightly. "Well obviously, he's Jack's right hand man. Why? It only makes sense that we do-" she seems to understand why I've asked and she doesn't finish her sentence. Instead she runs a hand through her hair. "He's Harley's brother."

I purse my lips.

"But she hates him doesn't she? She sure makes it sound like she does so wouldn't us taking him out be doing her a favour?" Katalina asks with a raised eyebrow and I shake my head.

"She may hate him but that doesn't mean she wants him dead. You can hate someone and still be okay with them being happy because at the end of the day, they're still blood and a part of you will always care for them."

Katalina averts her gaze, looking down at her boots while chewing on her lip.

"Look, if you have to take him out, I get it. Business is business and he's a key player but I need to know. Harley needs to know. I can't sit back and let something that could possibly break her just happen. If it can't be prevented, at least give her the chance to be prepared." I explain and Katalina lets out a breath before shaking her head.