Chapter Eight: Combat Training / Old Friends

In the Kwoon Combat Room, Braedey was testing his mettle and mental strength against the many appointed candidates that Weiss had handpicked herself, using movements like Greco-Roman/Sumo wrestling, Muay Thai, Krav Maga and boxing.

The Kwoon Combat Room is a specialised arena in the Shatterdome where Rangers are taught to fight in the Jaeger Academy in order to amplify their proficiency in combat situations.

So far, Braedey has handled around three different candidates, but as he does so, he would stiffen a little, as if he was going through some kind of seizure or something. He shook his head, and continued his training.

"Mr. Martin." Ironwood spoke up, getting Braedey's attention. "Do you have any problems? Is there something you wish to report?"

"No, sir." Braedey rolled his shoulders. "I'm good. Let's keep going. I'll be fine." He turned to see the new two candidates to face against him, and he saw it was Pyrrha and Jaune, the two of them with bo staffs in their hands. "Okay. Two against one. Let's try it." He challenged.

Braedey, Pyrrha, and Jaune began to swing their bo staffs around, striking against one another, while Braedey jumped back and forth, along with dodging side to side. But, before he could swing his bo staff to knock down the two, he suddenly froze, as his pupils shrank, and with sweat accumulating on his forehead.

"The hull! The Grimm's breached the hull!"

"Braedey, listen to me! You have to kill this thing! And tell Weiss and Blake I'm sorry-"

"MAX! NO!"

Braedey's eyes now snapped back to their regular shape, only for him to be smacked down by Pyrrha's staff, then got an uppercut to the jaw by Jaune, then Pyrrha swung her leg out, tripping Braedey over, and he fell down onto his back with a groan.

Nobody said a word, nor could they. Braedey seemed to just freeze on the spot, and left him wide open for an attack, and got knocked down to the ground.

"That's enough." Ironwood spoke out, as everyone looked to him. "I've seen what I need to see." He looked to Jaune and Pyrrha, as Braedey got to his feet. "Mr. Arc, Ms. Nikos, report to the Shatterdome in two hours time." He turned to Braedey." With that, he turned on his heel, and he left the Training Room, while Braedey watched him go.

Braedey sighed to himself, looking to Weiss, who showed a small smile, saying to him, 'Don't worry. He'll think of something', and followed after the Marshal. The brunette rolled his shoulders, then made his way to his quarters.

Once he arrived back in his quarters, he switched on the holographic TV, which was currently talking about what had happened in Menagerie, and about the council and Nations, while Braedey changed out of his combat outfit into a blue shirt with black cargo pants.

"In the wake of the Menagerie incident, which showed the ineffective nature of the Wall of Life program, many are questioning the government's motives, and wondering why the Jaeger program has been discontinued." A female reporter announced, as the TV showed the Category 4 Kaiju Grimm from Menagerie. "Riots have erupted along the coastlines of several Pan Pacific cities."

The screen then changed to Jacques being the Atlas Representative. "We have now relocated millions of civilians and supplies, 300 miles inland to the safe zones." He stated.

"Safe zones? For the rich and powerful?" A woman off-screen called out. "What about the rest of us?"

"Yeah, answer the question, mate." A man called out also.

"I believe the Wall of Life is still our best option at this time." Jacques Schnee stated back. "And that's all I'm gonna say on the matter. Thank you." With that, he walked off the screen.