debt collecting •ch 9•

(Y/N) was carrying her pot of stew over to the fire when she spotted Arthur stepping away from the donation box.

Curiosity sparked she sat it down, slipping over to him "whatcha doin' Arthur?"

Arthur glanced over "debt collecting for Strauss, not my favorite task... I still got one more house, some man by the name of Thomas Downes, apparently he may be a bit of a hassle"

(Y/N) blinked "need any help..? I've got nothing to do" she offered, forgetting about the stew she had been looking forward to eating

Arthur's gaze brightened up and he gave a nod "well sure, I'd be nice for some extra company, not to mention the last three ended up with me having to punch somone"

(Y/N) gave a small hop and they traveled over to their horses, mounting up.

"Alright Smoke, let's go for a ride" (Y/N) said as she gave her horse a pat on the neck

Arthur smiled as they began to trot out of camp "you know, you got one good looking horse, you really know how to take care of one"

(Y/N) gave a small laugh "yeah, I just really love horses, they're really interesting and full of personality just like people, hell, we wouldn't be able to get to places this quick without them"

Arthur gave his horse a quick kick to get it into a gallop, (Y/N) doing the same and moving up to his side

"Ya know, that new kid, Kieran, he really likes horses too, he's always taking care of his horse, wether its brushing it or cleaning its saddle, maybe you two could get along..?"

At the mention of Kieran, (Y/N) immidantly slowed down a bit, feeling a knot form in her stomach "he's an O'Driscoll... and O'Driscolls are the reason my family is dead... I dont want anything to do with getting near O'Driscolls unless it is to kill em' " she replied coldly

Arthur frowned simpetheticlly "He ain't an O'Driscoll anymore, and, if you'd hear his side of the story, than you'd know that he just took care of their horses, shit, that kid prefers horses over people, which I dont blame him cause most people treat him like fresh shit"

(Y/N) raised her head, her mouth open and waiting to reply. Words struggled to exit her mouth and she just sighed, dropping her head back down

"I-I dont know really, I just dont really trust him... that's all.." she murmured at last

Arthur glanced back to her "I know, but listen, you'll have to trust him eventually, he saved my life and now he's one of us, and its gonna stay that way until he dies, you die, or the gang dies"

She gave a nod and then lifted her head back up, spotting a small ranch "is this the place...?"

Arthur nodded and spotted a man inside a small fenced area, tending to some crops. He dismounted and (Y/N) did the same, following him and stopping as he entered the area, leaving her to wait and watch.

"Mr. Thomas Downes... you owe me money..." he began

...

Arthur walked over to (Y/N) and wiped something off of his beard.

They silently mounted up and began to trot away when Arthur finally spoke

"Damn bastard coughed on me, reckon he had any disease on him?"

(Y/N) shrugged "I dunno, let's hope not though"

He glanced over to her "so, erm, you and Javier, you guys a thing now?"

(Y/N) jerked her head up "what gave you the idea?!" She yelped, shocked

Arthur gave a chuckle "well, for starters news travels fast around camp, and the second thing is I ain't blind, I've seen you and him exchanging glances, kissing whenever you got the chance to"

Realization struck her and she gave a nervous laugh "oh right"

Arthur moved back to her side "you know, you dont need to try and keep it a secret, we'll all find out eventually, and the majority wont bug you about it every chance they get to"

(Y/N) smiled "you're right, wait, didn't you visit someone a while back..?"

Arthur closed his eyes "yep, women I used to know" his eyes flickered open "her name was Mary, she seemed to be too beautiful for this world, but things changed and she left me... she wanted me to help her get her brother back, and so that's what I did"

(Y/N) saw sadness and longing in his eyes and she shook her head "well she doesn't deserve you, you're too good for her, and if she doesn't want you than that's fine because you don't need her"

Arthur glanced over to her and gave a sad smile "thanks Ms. (L/N), but you know I ain't a good man, probably the reason she left me"

(Y/N) snorted "if she doesn't love you for the way you are, then she's as good as Micah"

Arthur gave a laugh "still haven't decided to break that rat look alike out of Strawberry yet, to be honest I kinda want to see him hang"

(Y/N) burst out laughing and then wiped a tear from her face "you know what, I feel the same way!"

Both broke out into more laughter as they began to trot back into camp, the sun shining above them and showing no sign of how the future would come with horrible change.

A/N
So I'm finally off my big break, if you've read the author's note.
I've actually started my 5th playthrough and I know I'm nearing Sean's death yet again and I'm dreading it because he is literally like a son to me, lmao