She loved you so much

Bradley

  The first thing I did when my eyes open this morning look for Stefani. I remember telling her she can sleep in my bed last night due to our nonexistent guest bedroom, but she insisted if she had to sleep in my bed so did I. She wasn't in the spot she fell asleep in so either one of two things happened: She either left without telling me, or she is somewhere in the house.

I got up and did the usual things a person would do in the mornings. When I was done I threw on some gray Nike sweatpants and a black T-shirt. I took a double glance in the mirror before I left and decided I was done with having the caveman beard. In less than twenty-five minutes it was gone. I left a thin layer of stubble just in case people were mad I did it without asking. The next major task I should probably go tackle today was getting a hair cut.

I turned off all the lights upstairs and went downstairs to find Stefani. She was in Lea's Nursery which is just off the family room.

She was sitting on the rocking chair with the infant in her arms

She was sitting on the rocking chair with the infant in her arms. I could tell she's been in there for a while for the position they were in curled up in. Stefani didn't notice me since she was so into the song she was singing to Lea.

🎶
Wish I could, I could've said goodbye
I would've said what I wanted to
Maybe even cried for you
If I knew it would be the last time
I would've broke my heart in two
Tryin' to save a part of you
🎶

Her voice was so full of love and emotion. Like she's been saving up this part of her vocal cords for this moment.

"I thought I heard an angel singing" I whispered trying not to wake the baby

"Bradley!" She shook looking up at me only to just coo and shush the now slightly awake baby

"I'm sorry!" I walked closer and sat down on the bench in the center of the room. "What time did you wake up?"

"Six," She said continuing to rock the baby

"What! Did she wake you? You should have got me up!"

"It's fine! I wanted to see her cute face again" a smile formed on her lips

I looked at the sleeping baby than back at Stefani

"Do you know if she was breastfed or bottle?" Stefani said as her eyes got huge

"Uhm... bottle... Irina would never breastfeed" I laughed

"Good! My boobs would've been no use in this situation" she joined the laughter

"I'll go make one since" I look at my watch "since it's about feeing time"

"Okay you go do that" she drew her eyes back to the sleeping infant

Walking out I heard her soft voice tell the baby "don't worry, if your mommy doesn't come back it doesn't mean she doesn't love you. It means she loved you so much she couldn't see you suffer"

I stood on the outside of the door out of view and felt a weight be pulled off my shoulders.

The kitchen was the only part of the house that was still not as clean as the rest. There were dishes in the sink stacked and baby bottles all over the place. I opened the cabinet and grabbed the first one I saw. It only took three minutes to make the milk into the proper form and be back in the room. Stefani was talking to the baby again.

"If you ever need somebody to talk to I'll always be there for you. If you're having toy or boy troubles, if your period has started, if your Daddy is too busy, even if it's the earliest hours of the night, or I'm on a plane to Europe I will always be there one way or another to help you"

I walked in pretending not to hear what she just said. There was this energy in the room that I couldn't put my finger on. I gave her the baby bottle and the only thing filling the silence was the little slurping sounds coming from Lea.

"Bradley.."

"Yes" I answered way faster than was necessary

"I've been meaning to ask you about th-"

"The note I left on your table" I finished her sentence

"Yeah.."

"Stefani" I started "I just want you to know I wasn't drunk when I wrote that"

"Oh," she looked as if she was trying to pinpoint a word but couldn't think of anything.

"I'm sorry"

"I kept it"

"You what?" I stepped back

The baby sneezed throwing us off to check and see if she was okay. Lifesaver Lea.

"Although it wasn't the one thing I wanted to hear from you it still meant so much to me" She looked at the baby peacefully as if she didn't have a care that I was there.

I needed to get out of this awkward situation.

"Stef... I know this is bad timing, but can you watch her for a little today?"

"Yeah. Why?" She looked up at me

"Ever since Irina left a month ago I haven't left my house once. I need a haircut, and to buy food, and baby supplies"

"Okay" her answer was simple but happy

I checked my watch at 9:34 am

"I should probably get going before the city gets hectic" I walked over to them picking up the baby giving her a kiss

Stefani stood up stretching her legs

"I love you so much" I whispered

The thing about what I just said is that I wasn't just saying that to Lea, and I think Stefani knew it too.

I handed the infant back to Stef and she just rocked the her.

"I'll be back later," I said on my way out of the room

Almost instantly Stefani started to sing to the fussy baby.

What kind of a coward was I to create a life with Irina, and not wait for Stefani to show up?