Chapter 3

Chapter Three.

Falling too fast?

Colby's POV.

"Colby, you're falling hard for this girl and you barely know her," Tex said, taking another bite of Chinese food.

He let me stay with him until the medicine wore off.

"I know, it's weird. I've never felt this before about anyone," I sighed, absently stirring my noodles.

"It doesn't bother you she has a kid?" he questioned, raising his eyebrows at me.

"Not really. I think it'll make her feel uncomfortable, ya know, letting a dude around her kid especially after what happened with the baby daddy," I replied, sitting my bowl down on the table.

"My advice to you, man, is to let her control the speed. You don't really have anyone but yourself on the line. She has herself and a baby. If you want this to become anything, you have to let her go as slow as she needs," Tex said, sitting his empty container down and turning toward me.

"You're right man. I think I'll call her later and see if she wants to meet for dinner or something in the next few days," I said, standing up and walking to the kitchen to throw my bowl away.

"That sounds like a good idea," Tex replied.

I heard the TV cut on so I figured I'd go ahead and take my medicine. I grabbed a water and downed the pain pill. I ran my fingers through my hair.

What if she says no? I mean, she seemed kinda into me at the hospital, or maybe it was the drugs that made me think that. It won't hurt to ask right? Might as well give it a shot. I'm supposed to call her anyway. I pulled my cellphone out of my pocket and pressed 'send' on her number. It rang about four times before her tired voice picked up.

"Hey Colby. How ya feelin' ?" she said, obviously concerned.

"Oh, I'm much better. Got one hell of a headache, but I'll survive, I guess." I let out a small chuckle.

Alright Colby, don't chicken out.

"That's good. I was really worried about you," she said, sincerity laced in her voice.

It gave me comfort knowing she actually cared.

"I had an awesome nurse," I smiled big, even though she couldn't see it.

She chuckled on the other end of the line.

"Well, you weren't a half bad patient," she said, still chuckling.

Now Colby.

"Hey, I was wondering. Would you maybe wanna grab some dinner one night?" I blurted out.

Well, at least I didn't chicken out. There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line before she spoke up.

"I'd love too," she said, finally.

I let out a deep sigh.

"Do you mind if I bring Madi?" she asked, a nervous tone in her voice.

"Of course not. I'd love to see her in person," I said, smiling to myself.

"How about Saturday? You off work?" I asked her, sitting down at the counter.

"Yeah, I am. My parents are going out of town for a week so it'll just be me and Madi," she replied, making me smile. "You like pizza?"

"Love it." I replied, rolling an apple around the counter.

"There's an amazing pizza place in downtown Tampa. Sound good?" she asked, sounding excited.