Chapter 4

I got out of the shower and got changed into my pj's. I was walking past the desk and saw mine and my moms initials that we had engraved with scissors. My heart dropped at the sight remembering the night we did this.

I ran my fingers through my moms initials. Tears started forming in my eyes, but I pushed them back with everything I had. "I love you mom" I mumble to myself as if she could hear me. I turn around to see my grandma standing in the doorway.

I jump in fear and hold my hand over my heart to steady it. "Whats wrong?" she asks walking in and sitting on the end of my bed patting the spot next to her. 

I sit down and fiddle with my fingers "I just miss her sometimes," I say taking a deep breath so I wouldn't cry. My grandma quickly changed the subject.

"So what one of those cute boys is your boyfriend?" she asks nudging my shoulder. I giggle to myself "none of them G," I say with a smile "well you outta think one of them is cute?" she says.

I think for a moment "well I do think one of them is pretty cute, but it's never going to happen" I say with another smile "not with that attitude it's not" she says nudging me again. I giggle "he has a girlfriend G" I say with a smile thinking back to those gorgeous blue eyes.

"So!" My grandma yells throwing her hands up playfully. "Grandma!" I yell laughing. 

***********************************************************************************************

The gang and I have grown really close. It's been a week and they already treat me as if I were family. 

The gang and I were in the Curtis house getting ready to go for a swim at a lake.

Two-bit was already in his swimming trunks hurrying the rest of us up. I was in the bathroom getting changed out of my summer clothes and into a nice one piece bikini. 

I had just finished putting on my swimsuit, and was putting my shirt over my swimsuit when I heard the bathroom door open

I shot my head towards the direction of the door to see Two-bit standing in the door way. 

"Shit if only I walked in a few seconds earlier" he says with a smug smile on his face. My face grew red as I grabbed my shorts from the ground and pulled them on.

"If you walked in a few seconds early I would've beat your ass!" I yelled storming out of the bathroom "and your lucky that this is all I am going to do to ya" I add turning around and grabbing Steve's chocolate cake off of his plate throwing it at Two-bit.

It hit him square in the chest. The gang started laughing as Steve looked sadly down at his empty plate and over to Two-bit who was picking it off of his bare chest. "Well it should taste better now" Steve said walking over to Two-bit and grabbing the chocolate cake out of his hand.

"Steve no!" Darry yelled as Steve opened his mouth wide "don't do it Steve" Soda says still sitting on the couch. Steve gives me a wink "chocolate cake is still chocolate cake" he says stuffing it all in his mouth.

A load of "ewws!" came from the gang and a "that was disgusting man" from a cold Dallas Winston. "Come on Dallas learn how to have some fun, and not be such a big grump all the time" I say through bits of laughter. He shoots me a look that makes me roll my eyes at him. "Party pooper" I say with a huff as I bend down to put my hair up in a Pony.

The rest of the gang was ready, and we were getting our shoes on to head out the door. I was balancing on one leg trying to pull on my high top white converse that were now basically light brown from the mud and dirt.

I pulled the first one on and was trying to get the second one on. I was hoping around frantically trying to pull on my last shoe when I started to feel myself falling backwards.

I looked up from my half pulled on shoe and met eyes with Soda "oh no" I say as I completely fall backwards.

Before I could land on the ground I feel something hard against my back I felt the leather part of my skin where my shirt had lifted up. My breath hitched as I slowly turned my head to meet the cold hard brown eyes that I couldn't help but stare into.

I had fallen into his side when he was trying to get past me "sorry" I say shyly as I pull myself back to a straight stance "just get your damn shoe on" he says while pulling out a cancer.

"I said I was sorry" I shoot at him "and I said get your damn shoe on" he says with a slight raised voice. I jumped slightly at his sudden raised voice, but just ignored it and pulled the rest of my shoe on.

Dallas and Pony were the first ones out the door and Johnny and I were the last. "Don't let Dal get to ya. He doesn't mean it" Johnny says sympathetically. I look over to Johnny who had his hands in his jean jacket pockets.

"Thanks Johnny" I say gently bumping his shoulder with mine. He looked up at me and smiled "I'll race ya" I say to him. His face lit up, but before he could even answer I took off "hey!" he yelled running after me.

I ran past Soda, Two-bit, Darry and Steve, and was nearing Pony and Dallas when I hear yelling from the gang. "2 bucks on Gracie!" I hear Soda yell "your on!" I hear Darry yell back.

I was coming up behind Dallas and when I ran past him I hit him in the shoulder with mine to move him out of the way. I laughed as I saw him stumble a few steps.

Still in the lead I looked back to see that the whole gang was running after me. My eyes widen and I begin to pick up my pace.

Pony had over taken me, but I finished in second. "Holy Pony you are fast" I huff trying to catch my breath. "So are you. I thought I wasn't gonna catch ya" he said with a huff while also trying to catch his breath.

The rest of the gang finally arrived sweaty and out of breath "Gracie you should join the track team" Johnny says with his body hunched over and his hands on his knees. "I'm more of a cross country girl" I say while setting my bag down on the grass.

I was looking in my bag for my towel when I heard the gang whispering. I looked up from my bag and glared at them "what is it your planning?" I ask suspiciously. The gang looks up at me and back to each other.

I stand up from my bag getting ready to bolt, but it was to late. Pony lunged out and grabbed my shirt while Steve and Two grabbed my arms. Darry and Soda picked me up by each of my legs while Pony, Johnny and Dally tried to stop my squirming.

"One!" Steve yells while the gang swings me back "two!" Two-bit yells as they swing me forward. The swing me once more back before yelling "three!" letting me go.

I feel the wind rush through my tied up hair as I look down to see the water that looked so cold getting closer to me.