Chapter 53:

It's finally my birthday.

After all this waiting I'm finally seventeen!

As I excitedly got out of my bed, I already felt different.

"I'm seventeen!" I yell happily spinning around with my arms in the air.

I normally wouldn't be so happy about turning seventeen, but after all I've been through, I never thought I'd live to see the day.

But I'm here and I couldn't be more happy.

I quickly got ready to start the first day of being seventeen.

I ran downstairs and was greeted with my grandpa washing some dishes.

We haven't talked at all or seen each other after I told him about Dallas, so I was a little worried about how he would react when I'm alone.

He heard me coming down the stairs and turned to look at me, anger still plastered in his eyes.

Oh shit maybe I won't live for very long being seventeen.

I was cut out from my thoughts of how I would die today when my grandpa started walking closer to me.

I didn't know if I should step back and protect myself or give him a tight hug and tell him how much I love him.

He took a deep breath and placed his drying towel on a chair.

"Happy birthday Gracie" he says his eyes softening.

The corners of my lips lift up into a smile.

"Thanks grandpa" I say with a now glowing smile.

He pulled the wooden chair out with a creak as it slid on the wooden floor, and sat in it facing me.

"We need to talk" he says in more of a serious tone.

Oh come on I was just happy.

I nod my head understanding and look nervously around the room.

"So you and Dallas Winston huh?" he asks trying to remain calm.

He was doing a pretty good job of it, I had to give him props.

I slowly nodded my head yes.

"Does he treat you right?" he asks with a soft glare.

I mean he's put me through so much pain that I thought about dying on multiple occasions, so "yes" I say fidgeting with my fingers.

Because it only made us stronger, and it only enhanced our feelings for each other.

All the bad times.

"At first he didn't" I tell my grandpa honestly.

"We used to be at each others throat constantly" I say grinning at remembering the feeling of how it felt to pour coke on Dallas's head.

All the mediocre times.

"Then he started to help me a bit. Cleaning some of my cuts" I say looking away as I tried to hold in my blush at the feeling of his surprisingly soft hands on my bare skin.

The times where we started to grow closer.

"Then we agreed to try and get along for the gang" I tell him chuckling at remembering the pillow fight we had.

"But it turned into an actual friendship"  say with a growing smile as I remember all the times we'd hang out together.

"He helped me through a lot of shit" I say finally looking into my grandpa's curious eyes.