Chapter 6: The Alpha Male of Beacon Part 2

Nora:How come Jaune gets home so late?

Ren: He's become rather scarce since he started fraternizing with Cardin.

Nora: That's weird... Doesn't he know we have a field trip tomorrow? We need our rest!

Pyrrha: (angrily) I'm sure our leader knows exactly what he's doing.

Nora and Ren exchange glances, not knowing that Jaune himself is looking in through the crack of the door.

Nora: Mmmm... I guess so.

Jaune hangs his head and closes the door, just as a voice interrupts his thoughts.

Ruby: Hey, Jaune! Long time, no see! Did you lock yourself out again?

Jaune: Oh, uh, nope! Got it!

Ruby: So! Where have you been lately?

Jaune: I, uh... I messed up. I did something I shouldn't have, and now Cardin has me on a leash, and Pyrrha won't even talk to me, and... I'm starting to think coming to this school was a bad idea.I'm a failure.

Ruby: Nope!

Jaune:  Nope?

Ruby: Nope! You're a leader now, Jaune. You're not allowed to be a failure.

Jaune: But... what if I'm a failure at being a leader?

Ruby: Nope!

Jaune: You know, you're not the easiest person to talk to about this kind of stuff.

Ruby: Nope! Jaune, maybe you were a failure when you were a kid...

Jaune groans and sinks lower to the ground.

Ruby: ... and you might've even been a failure the first day we met!

He groans and goes lower still.

Ruby: But, you can't be one now. You know why?

Jaune: Uhhh, because...?

Ruby: Because it's not just about you anymore. You've got a team now, Jaune. We both do! And if we fail, then we'll just be bringing them down with us.

Ruby gets up and places her hands on her hips as she speaks.

Ruby: We have to put our teammates first, and ourselves second. Your team deserves a great leader, Jaune. And I think that can be you.

Ruby walks over to her door and opens it as Jaune, now slightly inspired by her words, watches her wave.

Ruby: Have a good night, Jaune!

With new energy, Jaune pushes himself off the ground and faces the door, ready to turn the knob and face his team, but his Scroll beeps and he pulls it off of his side to open it, seeing Cardin's contact relaying a message.

Cardin (on-Scroll): Hey! It's your buddy Cardin! I know you're probably busy with that Dust project I gave you, buuuut I'm gonna need you to go out and get me a bag of Rapier Wasps. And make sure they've got some really big stingers! It's important, so don't screw this up!