Chapter 9

"Hurry up Year 11's, the bell for lunch will be going in a minute and I want you lot outta here."

The PE teacher's voice echoed through the changing rooms, lifting above the hum of voices.

The water in the pool had been refreshing after the heat of the day. I had managed to dig out my swimmers from the one of the boxes last night and I hoped the chlorine had eliminated the musty odour that emanated from them.

Having swimming for PE this half term suited me. You didn't get a much more solitary sport than that. It meant I didn't have to team up with Drew as he was in this class with me. Then again, I wouldn't have minded getting in a Boxing ring with him.

Jax was regaling me with another story about the newest love of his life while we got dressed. 

"I can't believe she said she'd come to the party on Saturday."  He smiled goofily, whilst also rubbing his blonde mop viciously with a towel.  "I should probably take her out on a date somewhere before though, right? Where do you think I should take her?"

"You are asking the wrong person for dating advice J."  I frowned at him. "What do I know?"

"You're right. After all you seem to think that taking girls to the gym is romantic..." He winked and chucked his towel at me.

"Get out of it." I chucked it back at him.  "It's not like that."

As I said that, my thoughts flitted to Cassie. Would I like it to be 'like that'?

"Come on - she is well hot and you know it. Cassie and Ky - Kyssie - it has a nice ring to it."

I put my middle finger up at him.

"Tut tut, she won't like you if you are rude."  He waved his finger at me.  "Is she why you have been ditching us at lunch? For romantic rendezvous..."

"No, I just can't stomach my food around all your ugly mugs anymore..."

"Ha, ha. Bring her along, Maddie has started sitting with us too, and a few of her friends. " 

There was a slight pleading tone to his voice. I felt bad for ditching him then - he had been nothing but a good friend and he was getting the short straw. Maybe I should tell him the real reason why - it just sounded so petty when I thought about saying it out loud.

Also, it would be nice for Cassie to make more new friends. She hadn't mentioned anyone and she was spending every lunchtime with me, so her chances to get to know people were somewhat limited.

"Maybe Jax." 

"Can you make the party on Saturday? Why don't you bring Cassie? Tammy won't mind."

"Maybe."

"That is your new favourite word," muttered Jax as he shoved his towel into his bag. 

The bell rang giving me a reprieve. "Yes, finally, lunch."

It was like we were having a race considering the speed we were pulling our socks and shoes on with. I was starving. I hoped Mrs Evans had made tuna and sweetcorn again.  I stood up to go without looking and collided with someone, knocking chests against each other.

"Opps, sorry." 

I looked up to see it was Drew I had bumped. I tried not to curl my face into a mask of hate but I had trouble keeping a neutral expression.

"No worries Ky. How are you anyway?"  He smiled at me, but his voice showed some nervousness. He had obviously noticed my response to him.

It's a bit late to enquire after my health. I didn't even bother to answer and just stepped past him and out of the locker room.  Jax caught up with me down the corridor and fell into step with me. I could see Cassie up ahead waiting by the door. Jax pulled me up by the arm.