Chapter 17

I slung my bag into the chair nearest the window and slung myself into the seat next to it. I buried my head in my arms. I was knackered after working with Mr Evans all weekend and of course what was now my usual not-sleeping. The last thing I needed was another detention.

I wasn't really feeling school at the moment. I wasn't paying much attention in lessons and I was behind on all my work, but just couldn't find the motivation to do any. Hence why I was here after falling asleep in Mr Carter class. If it had been anyone else's, I might have gotten away with it, but it seems my first impression wasn't forgotten by him. He had me down as a bad egg and was on my case about everything. To be fair, this time he had pretty good reason.

I felt a figure next to me and scowled into my arms. The only free seat can't be next to me.

"This seat taken?"

I snapped my head up ready to suggest that they find somewhere else to sit, but stopped short.

"Diego!"

He raised his dark eyebrow at me. "Do I know you?"  A wicked grin etched along his lips and I threw my arms around him in a hug.

"Reunion time is over boys. Detention starts now." Mr Carter's voice was as cold as the look on his face.

I moved my bag out the way and scooted over. Diego slid in next to me, unencumbered by a bag.

"What are you doing here?"  I whispered.

"Apparently I talk too much." He threw a dark look in Mr Carter's direction.

"I don't mean detention, you idiot." I punched him lightly on the arm.

"What is it with you and always hitting me?" He rubbed his arm.

"You've missed it, admit it." 

He swept a hand over his hair dramatically. "Well I haven't missed your snoring, that is for certain."

We had been room sharing, along with three other boys, at the Group home.

"So where have you been? I sent you a few messages after you dropped me in it with the Police down at the Estate."

His nose wrinkled. "Shit, did they get you? Did you get in trouble?"

"Well, no, not really, but now my Aunt is dating the Copper who brought me home, so thanks for that." 

"What?!"  Diego's eyes popped and he shook his head with a smile.  "That's messed up."

I nodded. Well actually, Scott was turning out to be alright, but Diego only saw the Police as bad, so no point in mentioning that.

"Oh yeah, I dropped my phone when I ran from those pigs, so I got a new number. Give me your phone."

I slipped it out of my pocket and handed it to him, keeping an eye on Mr Carter. I didn't want him to confiscate it. He was engrossed in marking the books in front of him.

He speedily entered it into the phone and handed it back. I rolled my eyes as I saw that he had named himself "Kyle's Boyfriend".

"You wish," I whispered back.

He chuckled.  "I can only dream."

"Boys!" Mr Carter's voice was sharp. "This is not a time for socialising. Get on with some homework please or, at the very least, be silent."

I felt Diego bristle next to me.

I bent down to my bag, pulled out one of my workbooks and flicked to the back page.