Chapter 16

I did a few hours work after school every night at Cassie's place. The old wallpaper was down and we ripped up the old flooring as well.  Kate was working lates this week so I didn't see her and she didn't notice that I was coming home dusty. 

Friday, I came home straight from school for the first time all week. Cassie was at dance class again and Mr Evans had something on. He asked me to come back and put a full day in tomorrow.  I changed out of my school uniform into some sweats. I opened the drawer next to my bed and grabbed a packet of noodles. I had bought a bunch of them to eat at home so that Kate wasn't spending her money on feeding me.  I was just finishing up my noodles when there was a knock at the door.  I went over to it irritably. It wasn't going to be for me - Cassie was the only person who knew where I lived.  I pulled the door open to reveal Scott.

"Alright Kyle?" He gave me a broad smile and his white teeth practically glowed next to his dark skin.

"Alright," I replied, sliding my hand down the door.

"Good week?"

I shrugged.

"Auntie Kate isn't here...she is working til late tonight."

"Yeah I know," He smiled. "I was in the neighbourhood and I wondered if you fancied coming down to the gym with me - if your hand is up to it?"

My knuckle wasn't too bad, but I hesitated. I didn't really know him, but my body felt like it could do with a workout. I wasn't used to such an extended period with out any proper training and my body was not happy.

"Um, yeah, ok. I'll just get my stuff."

———

I thought that we would go to the leisure centre, so I was surprised when Scott started to drive down the road to the industrial estate. I started to feel a bit nervous. Maybe he was a serial murderer or paedo type.

He turned into one of the units and I saw a sign. "Lyons' Gym"

He stopped the car.

"My mate runs it so I get a cheap entry. It is pretty basic but does the job." He explained as we walked towards the door.

"Scott!" A bodybuilder type wearing a muscle shirt called to him.

"Alright Harry. This is Kyle - I am going to show him a thing or two today." He turned and winked at me.

"Ha ha! Good luck with that."

We dumped our bags in the small locker room and came back out on to the main floor.  It looked like the place was used for Crossfit - massive posters were along the walls and there was a lot of equipment that I had seen used for it around the place.  There was a matted area to one side which had a few boxing bags hanging down from the ceiling. There was also a TRX station and the biggest weights area that I have seen anywhere - some looked heavier than me.  I stayed by Scott, not too sure of myself.

"What do you wanna do?" He asked me.

I had never done much gym work -other than lifting weights that one of mums old boyfriends had left at our house. I got most of my exercise from doing Karate 3 times a week. "I'll just follow your lead."

After 45 minutes, I regretted saying that. Scott was an animal with the weights. Even though I was doing smaller weights than him, he was doing so many more reps than me. I don't know why I was surprised: I guess he didn't get all those muscles from doing nothing.

I spotted him for the last few reps of a bench press.

"Phew!" He was breathing heavily as he sat up.

"Hey Scott, long time no see..."  Two guys came up to speak to him and as they got engrossed in conversation, I slipped away over to the now empty matted area.

The boxing bags were swinging gently and I pressed my fist up to one. I took a deep breath and started doing my basic karate punches. I moved onto the different kicks and then began combinations, gaining speed and power as I settled back into it. It was deep in my muscle memory and I felt lighter with every punch as if I was the only person in the room.

I did a meaty combination finishing with a roundhouse kick that sent the bag spinning away from me.  As I brought myself back to natural stance, I heard a clap from behind.

"Very impressive," Scott was beaming at me. "when Kate said you were good at Karate, she wasn't kidding.
I felt a bit of pride.

"Fancy sparring an old man like me?" He gestured to the gear that was sat on the floor in the corner.

"Sure."

We popped the tired gear on and stood across from each other.

"I won't hit you full force," said Scott as he strapped on his head gear.

I suppressed a smile.

"Ready?"

I bowed and so did he.  As expected he came straight at me, I blocked him easily and from there it was quite simple. We exchanged hits and he was certainly strong, but he lacked technique and movement and I knew exactly how to counter anything that he brought.

"Ooof!"  He exhaled at a punch I gave to his stomach as he moved away.

"Sorry, I won't hit you full force," I grinned at him.

He ploughed at me then, I dodged away and landed a kick to his side that sent him sprawling to the mats.

Harry walked past and deadpanned: "Yeh, you are really showing him Scott."

Scott rolled onto his back and let out a deep laugh.  I went over and reached out my hand and he took it and pulled himself up, before shaking my hand.

"You are pretty good."

Before I could answer, a familiar voice chimed in: "Technique looked a bit sloppy to me."

We both turned to see Sensei Max.

"Max mate, how are you?" Scott shook his hand taking over speaking as I was too surprised to.

"I'm good. Just come for a weights session."

He looked at me and smiled.

"Kyle, how are you?"

"I'm good thanks." I almost gave a bow but stopped myself.

"What happened to your eye?"

I looked at the floor. Maybe Drew hadn't been in class this week...or maybe he had and Sensei was fishing.

"Oh nothing," I couldn't look at him as I was being evasive. I wasn't lying but it still felt wrong with him.

"Kyle was just showing me a thing or two out on the mat." Scott winked at me.

"If you are back training, then I'd love to see you in class. We've missed you." Sensei gave me a warm smile.

"Oh, we were just mucking around."  I said, rubbing my neck and not addressing what he said. It felt good: punching, sparring, but I don't think I could ever go back. I just couldn't.

"I was just going to take this one for a steak, if you fancy joining us?"

"Thanks, but I haven't even started yet. Enjoy and hopefully I'll see you again soon." He was looking directly at me. I gave him a small smile and looked at the ground again as Scott patted him on the shoulder in farewell.

"Right then," He wiped his brow as we started walking towards the changing rooms. "Now lets get some food, I am starving."