Chapter 33

I felt as light on my feet as ever as we trained in the gym a few days later. Scott had been at home when I got back from school and had suggested a gym trip. I was ecstatic that things were getting back to normal. I hadn't realised how much I had liked our normalcy: curry night with Kate, gym and sneaky steak nights with Scott.

"Come on Scott: two more reps."

He pushed two out and put the weights back down.

He leant forward on his knees to catch his breath.

"Are you trying to kill me?" He huffed.

"Can't keep up old man?"

"Watch it with the old...". Scott levelled his eyes at me before smiling.

"What next?" I looked around the room to see Sensei Max. I gave him a wave and a broad smile.

He smiled back and came over.

"Alright Max?" Scott extended his hand and they shook.

Sensei Max then extended his hand to me. Though my instinct was always still to bow to him, I reached out and shook it.

He didn't let go of my hand then: instead turning it over, looking at my forearm. The bruises were dark and greeny/yellow in parts now. His eyes went down to my other arm before up to me.

"What the hell happened to you?"

On autopilot, my eyes darted to Scott. Guilt was easy to read off of him and he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

Like a flash, Sensei Max had him up against the mirrored wall, his hand wrapped around his throat.

"What are you doing?" I screeched.

Sensei Max was only focused on Scott.

"Last time I see him with you he has a black eye and now his arms are covered." He tightened his grip. "You like picking on kids, do you?"

Scott struggled; his face was red from the lack of oxygen and Sensei loosened the grip enough for him to talk.

"The arms...it was my fault but it wasn't on purpose." Scott coughed out.

This was the wrong way to explain. Sensei pulled him off the wall and, sweeping his leg, pushed him to the ground.

I threw myself down on my knees and managed to get in front of Sensei's arm, blocking him as he went to hit him. He shook me off with ease and I fell back on my bum.

He kept a hand around Scott's throat as he turned to me.

"Is that why you haven't been coming to class, huh? Because you are covered in bruises that you don't want me to see?" Max snapped.

"No. That's not it at all. Just let him go."

I got back onto my knees and tried to pull his hand off Scott's throat. He let me this time, loosening the grip from his throat, but taking a clump of his shirt instead. Scott coughed; taking great gulps of air now he could.

"Then why Ky? Why have you given it all up?"

"Because, if I hadn't of been at that stupid tournament then Mum would still be alive! Is that a good enough reason for you?!"

It seemed like the sound of my voice rang out across the entire gym: I noticed then the other gym-goers stood watching this scene unfold.

"Jesus...Kyle..." I looked from Max's face to Scott's behind him.

I stood up and dusted down my legs.

"Will you leave him alone now?" I pointed down to Scott.

Max stood up too. "Um, yeah."