Chapter 21

Cassie's hand was in mine and I could feel the warmth of it even through my gloves. I stopped and pulled open the door for her. The warmth of the heating hit me in the face and it was welcome relief. My thin jacket was not much use now the weather was turning cold. I'd had a big growth spurt since last winter and the coat I had was far too small. I might have to give in and use some of the money I was earning on a warmer coat, but for now I would make do as best I could. The money was for Kate, not me.

Cassie's hand found mine again and she gave me a sideways smile as we navigated through the busy hallways. It had been two days since our date. I had spent most of the next day at her house working and hanging out with her. Well, if you count all evening making out on her bed as 'hanging out'. I had only left at 10pm when Mr Evans had told me I had to leave as it was a school night. I am not sure how he was coping with the change in our relationship:  he never said anything but he was definitely giving off strong 'watch it pal' vibes.

I saw the group up ahead and we narrowly avoided getting slammed by a group of year 8's as we crossed the hall.

"Morning,". I said as the group opened to let us in.

There were grunts and pleasant returns depending on how much of a morning person each one was. Maddie lifted an arm out of Jax's embrace and pointed at us.

"Er, do you have something you need to tell us Cassie and Ky?"

I noticed her finger pointed down to our clenched hands.  Cassie coloured a little pink.

"What? It's a crime to hold hands with your girlfriend now?" My face a mask of mock surprise.

Cassie looked up at me with a small look of surprise . Shit, had I overstated it? Were we not boyfriend and girlfriend now?  My anxiety passed just as quickly as it had arrived, as a big grin spread over her face which she tried unsuccessfully to hide.

"Finally!"  groaned Tammy.  "We thought you two would never get your shit together."

"Yes, now we can call you by your name:  'Kyssie'!"  He looked way too excited about this prospect.

"That name is not going to be a thing Jax,"  I shook my head at him.

"Oh I think it will..."  He grinned back.

"Cassie, Cassie. How could you pick him over me? I am far more handsome and don't fart as much in my sleep." Drew clasped his hand to his heart and looked sad.

I went to punch his shoulder playfully and he dodged out of my way.

"Watch it!" I said, with a grin.

"I guess you lied about being a black belt, huh Clark?"  A voice said from behind.

I turned and saw him. His slim frame was clothed in ill fitting uniform and his tie was trailing from his pocket. His hair was styled into his trademark quiff - I had never seen him without it.

"Diego!"  I turned and gave him a quick hug.

"We don't want your lady to get jealous now." His dark brown eyes twinkled as he smiled at me.

"Let me introduce you." I turned and ushered him towards the group that were watching the exchange intently. "This is Jax, Maddie, Drew, Tammy and this is Cassie."

Everyone said 'Hey' or nodded and he raised his hand up in a short wave.

"Everyone this is my friend Diego from..."

"A heady, wild holiday romance." Diego cut me off with a smile. "Ok, not really, we met over the Summer." 

"We were just heading for lunch. Wanna come sit with us?"  Tammy asked. She was always good at talking to new people and putting them at ease.