Waiting Sucks

Keith POV

We all tumble back in the booth but I can't take my eyes off the booth Pidge and Lotor are seated at. I wish I could see her face. From this angle, I can't see their faces I can only really stare at the booth and now I'm debating the idea of getting up and going over to the bar where I'd have a better view. I look up and Shiro is staring at me. Frowning. Shaking his head.

"No, Keith, stay there. She doesn't need an audience and we are close enough that if she needs us we are here."

I look at him, with no expression and reply, "I don't know what you are talking about. I have to go to the bathroom." I'm met with laughter and I can't keep the growl from escaping.

Matt, while staring at his beer, lowly replies, "Yeah, I'm sure we all do. But she's gotta end this in a way that allows her to close the door on this. Pidge can take care of herself, believe me, I've made sure of that. But she needs to feel that she's taken the logical course, heard all the evidence, balanced everything and it's got to be her that closes the door. Even if I wish I could slam the fucking door on him. *Looking up and suddenly staring directly at me* Look I like you Keith, but I love my sister. She's brilliant, seriously fucking brilliant. But she's still young and somewhat innocent...despite the wealth of knowledge she has about dating, relationships and sex. (Shiro puts his hand on Matt's back and is rubbing circles) She doesn't need a protector but she could use a partner. You seem interested and I think you guys are actually a good match despite both of your personality shortcomings. (WHAT?!?) BUT, if you want to be with her, and not like Lotor trying to control her, you have to allow her to make her own decisions."

I can feel everyone's eyes on me and I know when Matt mentioned sex I got a little flushed. But I got it. Shiro has been trying to make me less brash and reactive. I look straight at him and nod. Message received. I can wait. I've got time and Shiro has been drilling in me about patience and something else. Whatever I get it.

Lance buts in here and says, "What a minute, how is this all ok. He's on the Galra U robotics"

I open my mouth to defend myself when Hunk shoves a wing in Lance's mouth and replies, "Dude, let it go. You know that Keith is only at Galra University because he has a full ride scholarship! I seriously doubt that he is going after Pidge for secrets! Besides, he's their pilot not an engineer. He probably wouldn't even be able to hack into Pidge's laptop!!"

Okay, now I feel like I'm stupid but honestly I can't even argue. There's no way I'm hacking into anything. I take a deep breath and say, "Look, I don't know what's going on with Katie, (deep breath) Pidge and I but, I just want to find out." I look over to Matt and say, "I can't make any promises but I can honestly say that I've never felt this way about a girl before. BUT, honestly, I'm not, um, very good at this pursuing things. Girls have always kinda just, um, well" I kinda faded. How to I tell the brother of the girl who I am interested in, that girls usually chase me and um, I sorta let them catch me, for a bit, until I get too busy or bored. Then I just kinda, um rinse and repeat? That is NOT going to make me look good. I'll just say, ...

Shiro laughs, "Yeah you're looking at a genuine bad boy here. Girls just chase him and he, (looking at Matt who does not seems like he finds this funny)....well let's just say Keith hasn't ever had to work at getting a girl."

Lance replies, "Oh yeah, I totally know what you mean. Me neither."

I know that I'm red, literally my face is on fire. I let my head drop to the table. Seriously how long is Katie going to talk to Lotor??? Someone needs to put me out of my misery already. I'm going to lose my shot before I even figure out how to take it!!

I don't know how long I keep my head on the table. Honestly, I'm tired and frustrated that things are out of my control right now. I wish we never went to the bar because then I'd be at Katie's house instead of her here taking to HIM.

Suddenly, Hunk sits up and his leg hits the table. I look up to see Katie getting out of the booth. Okay, not too bad, then he leans over and hugs her. Tightly. I can feel myself getting mad and clenching my fists. Everyone is staring and I'm hoping he hasn't convinced her to take him back. I find myself staring at her and hoping she looks at me so I can get a read on her. I'm pretty good at looking at people and figuring out what's going on in their heads. My heart is beating pretty fast, like I just came back from a run and I can feel my palms sweating. I can't take my eyes off her, like if I do, she'll choose him instead. So instead I focus on her. She looks beautiful and sweet all at the same time. I let out another growl, it's like I cannot help myself.

I keep my eyes trained on her and I see her shake her head in the negative and take step away from him and towards us. As she walks back to the table, I catch her gaze and feel my heart spike up. I may not be the smartest guy at the table, in fact, I can probably guarantee it. But right now, I think I may be the luckiest.